Sinking skunk stripe. Leave or attempt a repair?

What's Hot

Just picked up this late 70s  tokai springy sound. Amazing guitar but does have one issue, a  section of the skunk stripe (about 5cm) halfway down the neck looks to have sunken by about 1mm   . 

Would normally leave it but it's quite deep and can be felt due to the sharp edge of the maple.

What would the best option, do not want to try and fill with super glue in case it leaks into the Truss rod cavity. 

https://ibb.co/Jdny4Kf

Any help would be appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks a bit deep to be explained by natural shrinkage. 

My inclination would be to have the skunk stripe removed and re-glued in the correct position.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for responding. A bit out of my skill set to remove the skunk stripe,  could it have taken a knock as the rest of the skunk stripe is fine. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16650
    Is it a split along the stripe, towards the bottom of the pic?
  • Not 100% sure if it's a crack as it seems to be under the finish was hoping to drop fill but not sure if I'll make it worse. 

Here's a couple more pictures 

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I would have a go at letting some super glue wick in either side to try to fix it in place, check the truss rod when it has set, if it is safe to proceed, I would then use clear nail varnish to build up the height. Take time to build it up, let it dry fully, and then get it back flat with fine abrasives.
    Nail varnish is quite thick, so it shouldn't take too many coats.
    The alternative is to have it taken out and a new one fitted, which will be lots of money I suspect.
    It has had a long life so far, so it should be an easy repair, but I haven't seen anything like that before-skunk stripe bashed in?
    It could be early shrinkage that broke the original glue joint, which made it easier to have pushed in over time.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    edited September 2020
    The skunk stripe couldn’t have been fitted properly at the factory - there shouldn’t be a gap under it which has allowed this to happen. Pretty rare, but I’ve seen a Fender Jazz Bass with exactly the same fault.

I would also superglue it then build the finish up with clear varnish, then sand smooth and buff it up. The truss rod won’t stick to the neck well enough to stop it moving even if a small amount does get in as far as it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein