Would you modify to fit, or replace.

What's Hot
Assumed replacement P Bass tuners from Schaller would fit my GSP basses P Bass I'm going to put together, but turns out I was wrong (I measured the peg holes etc..) 

I could modify the top to clear the headstock, but would you just scrap that and order a different set?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16642
    I think I would go for a different set, just for the aesthetics.  Functionally, it will work fine with 3 screws
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • It should not be difficult to sell or swap your Schallers for something of equal quality with a smaller baseplate.

What is the diameter of the pre-drilled ‘head post hole? How far is it in from the upper edge of the headstock? Is your project instrument left- or right-handed?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    They should be a standard PBass fit...

here’s the fender version:

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
    Just ordered a set of smaller footprint Schallers, more in the style of the ones on my Stingray from Thomann, so should get them this week I guess. 

WezV said:
    I think I would go for a different set, just for the aesthetics.  Functionally, it will work fine with 3 screws
    True and this one is going to look special too with the paint, I can't imagine my dremel work would improve that :D 

It should not be difficult to sell or swap your Schallers for something of equal quality with a smaller baseplate.

What is the diameter of the pre-drilled ‘head post hole? How far is it in from the upper edge of the headstock? Is your project instrument left- or right-handed?

Expect a for sale thread imminently! 

It's a right handed P Bass, no ruler or tape measure to hand at the mo. The tuner holes from the face are 17mm, can't remember the diameter from underneath
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That definitely looks like the hole is not in a standard place, so you may have to look hard to find pegs that fit.
  • The Schaller BM “Stingray” type has a shorter stem length, this brings the flat key button nearer the edge of the headstock.

It should be possible to dismantle both sets of Schallers to construct a working hybrid.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    the holes should be 7/8th inch from the flat part of the headstock to the center of the hole... or 22.2 mm.

Approx 17mm diameter on top and 14mm from the back...
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    If I remember correctly that neck should take Schaller BM “Stingray” type. You could send the neck back to me and I’ll replace it with a vintage style PBass neck that will take the bigger back plates.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Straight from the horse’s mouth. :)

Guess what? I have a box of Schaller BM ‘heads that I would have happily traded for the Kluson-alikes. Feck! Arse! Knickers!
    Thanks all.

@GSPBASSES - Not to worry, the replacements are on the way. 

That is a shame @Funkfingers - but if you need a new and unused set of the bigger Schallers, you know where I am :) 
    Thats better :) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The combination of scaled down headstock and tuners works well. Almost like a Mustang Bass. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom