Boss OC3 Problem

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have a Boss OC3 which I've used for quite a few years and 99% of the time only use it in the Polyphonic mode to get a lower octave on the E,A & D strings when fingerpicking on acoustic.

I've been playing around lately with it and using it to add bass lines to some loops.

I've noticed that when I have it in normal octave or the distortion mode and play certain notes it fluctuates between the lower octave and the original note (almost like a whammy pedal does).

Anyone know what might be causing it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• In OC-2 mode?

That is just what OC-2 models do. Warbly, glitchy and apparently that's why they have a character!
    I have no idea why the OC-2 is loved so much.
  • In OC-2 mode?

That is just what OC-2 models do. Warbly, glitchy and apparently that's why they have a character!
    In "Oct 2" mode, yes. Ah ok, if it's meant to do that, that's fine but just assumed it was faulty. Seems an odd characteristic of a pedal.
  • It's just recreating old tech. The OC-2 is a very old pedal.

The "Oct 2" mode is a copy of the old OC-2 pedal, hence I called it that.

You can help it track better by putting a compressor in front of it, but many OC-2 lovers claim the glitchy stuff is part of the charm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    In OC-2 mode?

Because they do that :).

Like a lot of technically bad sounds it can be useful when you get familiar with them - you can usually get it to do it, or not, depending on how you pick and where on the neck you're playing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the info. I'm only really going to use it on the poly mode so it's not a big issue but good to know it's not faulty. Thanks!
  • ICBM said:
    In OC-2 mode?

Because they do that :).

Like a lot of technically bad sounds it can be useful when you get familiar with them - you can usually get it to do it, or not, depending on how you pick and where on the neck you're playing.
    Like Neil Young ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    cbilly22 said:

Like Neil Young ?
    Exactly :).

It’s worth remembering that feedback and even distortion were once considered unmusical problems with amplification, until players learned to use them creatively. The OC-2 is just a bit more unpredictable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks all. At least I know the pedal isn't faulty.