Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sire Larry Carlton S type - anyone tried one?

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
edited September 2020 in Guitar
Not gonna lie, I quite like the look/specs of that blue maple-topped one... Bit of an "Anderson Drop Top on the cheap" vibe going on.

Tenuous Larry Carlton affiliation though...

Anyone tried one?

Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Nope. Have only seen a few YouTube videos & had a look months ago on Andertons website who didn’t appear to have any in stock.

Am surprised to see they have them available now, so much hype early doors for a product you couldn’t get your hands on.

This the one you fancy? https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-larry-carlton-s7-fm-in-trans-blue-with-flame-maple-top

• Yeah... Wonder if it's Harley Benton quality (cf the Fusion) at twice the price, or more like Charvel MIM at two thirds of the price :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    edited September 2020
    Tenuous Larry Carlton affiliation though...

I don't see the connection at all.  Is he simply letting them use his name?  He can't have had much input into the design, it's just a Strat/Suhr/Tom Anderson copy, not a single original feature.

(By the way, the thread caught my eye because I thought it said Sir Larry Carlton)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2379
    duotone said:
    "TOP WOOD: Flamed Maple" 

Seriously? A paper thin veneer is now called top wood?!

I think more brands do this than not, these days - I know ESP call everything a quilted/flamed "top" when everything below their custom shop is a veneer.

Tim
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I saw this and on TV they look good but on closer inspection you can see the carve on the LP is not as deep as a Gibson, the 3 way switch is a lower quality one and not the same Switchcraft one.  I know corners will be cut but I see these about the same level as an Epiphone really and not that big a bargain. 
  • I saw this and on TV they look good but on closer inspection you can see the carve on the LP is not as deep as a Gibson, the 3 way switch is a lower quality one and not the same Switchcraft one.  I know corners will be cut but I see these about the same level as an Epiphone really and not that big a bargain. 

Yeah I imagine the components will be in the same ballpark, given that the price is not too different. I'm more curious as to whether the fit/finish is a step-up. It would really need to be, IMHO, especially for the LP/ES ones... I doubt many would take a punt on these with barely zero brand recognition, the fact that they don't quite look like the guitars they're clearly inspired by, and that you'd be lucky to recoup 50% when selling...

Mind you it seems like their basses are pretty well regarded, hence my curiosity.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    They seem very impressive for the money on Andertons.

Lee's playing in the opening jam is streets ahead of where he used to be. I guess he's been getting lots of lockdown guitar in!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I haven't tried one but all I'll say as an owner of 2 Sire Marcus Miller basses and a fan, the cheaper V3 (£199 from Anderton's) and the big selling V7 (£275 from Thomann when they first came out), the components are good, the preamp is excellent, powerful and versatile and they're set up well straight out of the box.

Most people who've tried and reviewed them think they cost more than they do and they definitely punch above their price point. The same is true of their acoustics

Marcus Miller also had a lot of input on them, spec'ing them high but wanting them at a certain price point, much like Santana and his vision for the PRS SE range, so who knows if Larry Carlton requested the same.

If you're looking at these and Harley Benton's, take a look at the FGN's, too. They're slightly more expensive but you get Seymour Duncans, Gotohs etc
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I saw this and on TV they look good but on closer inspection you can see the carve on the LP is not as deep as a Gibson, the 3 way switch is a lower quality one and not the same Switchcraft one.  I know corners will be cut but I see these about the same level as an Epiphone really and not that big a bargain. 

Yeah I imagine the components will be in the same ballpark, given that the price is not too different. I'm more curious as to whether the fit/finish is a step-up. It would really need to be, IMHO, especially for the LP/ES ones... I doubt many would take a punt on these with barely zero brand recognition, the fact that they don't quite look like the guitars they're clearly inspired by, and that you'd be lucky to recoup 50% when selling...

Mind you it seems like their basses are pretty well regarded, hence my curiosity.
    For me if the electronics are good, the neck is straight and good enough set up out of the box, I can give the finish a pass.
  • The S types are probably based on the Valley Arts S-type guitar he played in the 80s I think (although his had a Gibson scale length not 25.5")

Add £200 ish for electronics/pickup upgrades and you are in Ibanez AZ cost territory though (the special offers in GuitarGuitar that is)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I really like the look of that!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Looking at depth of the faux binding in that picture, that is a bit more than a paper thin veneer.

That said, flame maple just doesn't look right on S Style guitars.  Give me a colour like Sonic Blue, Lake Placid Blue, or Oympic White any day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited September 2020
    The Sire basses are very good value for money. I have an M3 bass which I had for my 18th birthday and prefer it to any bass I've tried or owned since bar a Rickenbacker 4003W which was £2000.

I'm very interested in these guitars. If the build quality and value for money is the same as the basses, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

EDIT: the link with Marcus Miller was somewhat abstract too. As I understand it he was involved in the design and spec phase, publicised them for a bit and then went back to his Fender signature. Although to be fair there was a period where every bassist on TV was using a Sire - I think the one Jools Holland New Years thing all but one bassist was using a V7 or M5 Sire bass.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    crunchman said:
    daisie_guitar said: 

Looking at depth of the faux binding in that picture, that is a bit more than a paper thin veneer.

I could be wrong, but from the picture I think it's a paper thin veneer over a quarter-inch top made from several pieces (I can see at least four) of plainer, unfigured - or less attractive looking - maple.

I've seen similar on Edwards and Signature guitars I've owned - genuine thick maple top, but the flame or quilt is a veneer or even fotoflame.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Philly_Q said:
    crunchman said:
    daisie_guitar said: 

I could be wrong, but from the picture I think it's a paper thin veneer over a quarter-inch top made from several pieces (I can see at least four) of plainer, unfigured - or less attractive looking - maple.

I've seen similar on Edwards and Signature guitars I've owned - genuine thick maple top, but the flame or quilt is a veneer or even fotoflame.

If that's the case, they have done an incredibly good job of finding a piece that matches up the grain lines either side of the strap button.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    I like the name............a mash up of Suhr and Squire
     Instant credibility
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

If that's the case, they have done an incredibly good job of finding a piece that matches up the grain lines either side of the strap button.
    I think I see three visible join lines on the faux binding - one in the centre and the others a few inches to either side.  The two outer join lines don't run through the flame top.  I agree that the grain lines on the binding - or at least some of them - do seem to line up with the "vertical" lines on the top - maybe the flame veneer is transparent? 
  • crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    crunchman said:
    daisie_guitar said: 

If you zoom in, you'll see that below wthe strap button they do seem to line up, but not above it. Also, on the lines on the faux binding part do line up with the rest of body, which proves that the faux binding part is the body wood and theres only a veneer above it.
  • "Put some decent PUs on it and it'll put your Suhr modern to shame" eh? (Like the HB LP and Gibbo R9...)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom