Variax: JTV vs Std

So the digital bits are the same, but what about the guitar itself?

I’ve read that the JTV has a chunkier neck profile and is a heavier guitar, are there any other differences (fret wire size, trem performance)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I tried out both and expected to buy the James Tyler singlecut. It was Korean and I like MIK builds. The JT singlecut was ok but the neck was a little uncomfortable. I can usually get used to any sort of neck though, so no big deal really. I was a bit underwhelmed overall I suppose, so went with an Indonesian STD, which as you know is just a Yamaha Pacifica with the variax circuit installed. Its fine. I only use it as a studio tool and have used it stock. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Tbf, the Tyler designed neck shape is a bit marmite imho. The STD is very much what it is - it’s a low end Pacifica with the electronics from a JTV shoehorned in. The neck is a lot more generic but not in a bad way.

Where they diverge for me is the Trem. The STD trem was awful on the prototypes I had cross my desk. Noisy, poor return to pitch and generally bad finishing. I flagged this up and they were going to improve it... but tbh, since L6 UK folded I haven’t really had anything to do with it. However, it doesn’t look too different in the pics...

The Korean build quality was excellent on the JTVs (built by World Guitars - PRS SE, Schecter, ESP, etc etc) and the QC processes in Europe and the US facilities meant they *all* were checked and set up before going to the shops. I don’t know the STDs have those set up/QC stages any more - I know that the guys I employed to do it have been laid off. Down side was that some were a bit heavy... and as I say the neck profiles (and tall frets) weren’t universally liked.

Basically, I’d suggest trying both before committing. They both have their pros and cons.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I haven't tried the Std but I did own a JVT-69S.  The neck is big and the frets tall, so not for everone, but I quite liked it.  I did get Steve Robinson of this parish to tame the fret ends and sort out poor tracking on the high E string (which was down to break angle).  The trem is two point (which I like) and it worked well.  I was a heavy bastard which is down to the electronics / battery (although I powered it from a POD HD if memory serves).

End of the day, I just didn't like the sounds.  I struggled like hell to get a live sound (I was playing JVT > POD > PA) but as soon as I switched the JVT for my regular US Strat the sound was there instantly.