New tuners advice

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited September 2020 in Guitar
I want to get some new tuners (possibly locking) for my strat copy. However I'm aware that many seem to have different scre positions etc and so I want to make sure what I buy are going to fit ok.

Can anyone advise what tuners would fit (if any) without the need to drill any holes?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have the same diamond back tuners on my Squier Strat and looked into upgrades a while ago but couldn't find any replacements that would fit without drilling new holes.
  • Regrettably, there is no worthwhile upgrade ‘head design available with the exact same fastening screw positions.

Assuming that your stock ‘heads have push-in ferrules on the front of the headstock, the obvious choice of replacement would be replica Kluson safety tuners, fastened by seven screws, arranged in a straight line.

If the diameter of the tuner shaft holes is wide enough, it might be wisest to use modern, enclosed gear ‘heads, located by “pegs” on the underside and fastened from the front by a threaded nut.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Regrettably, there is no worthwhile upgrade ‘head design available with the exact same fastening screw positions.

Assuming that your stock ‘heads have push-in ferrules on the front of the headstock, the obvious choice of replacement would be replica Kluson safety tuners, fastened by seven screws, arranged in a straight line.

If the diameter of the tuner shaft holes is wide enough, it might be wisest to use modern, enclosed gear ‘heads, located by “pegs” on the underside and fastened from the front by a threaded nut.
    I don't know about the push-in ferrules but assume so. If I have to drill but the new tuners would cover up (even mostly) the existing holes that is fine, I just don't want lots of unsightly holes on the back of the headstock if I can help it.
  • Here are a few examples.

https://i.imgur.com/unkCdOu.jpg

L-R: Same as your guitar, replica Kluson Safety, Mini Grover, Schaller M6L Mini, Jin-Ho, Fender/Ping.

The Jin-Ho is the only one whose locator screw aligns with one of your existing ones. Some Gotoh, Ping Well and Wilkinson 'heads use the same gear dimensions housing as the Jin-Ho. Hence, the fit will be the same. 

The Fender/Ping type is located by two "pegs". Corresponding holes will need to be drilled into the headstock.

https://i.imgur.com/hHYe2po.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    As Funkfingers said, unfortunately there are no better heads which fit both that screw pattern and the headstock hole bore size.

A set with what's probably best described as a 'straight offset' screw lug might fit the existing screw lower holes - like this: (These are locking but it was just the first pic I found.)

But it will still leave the upper ones visible, and you'll need to ream out the holes in the headstock for the larger 10mm bushings. (This is a job best done with a special tool that doesn't go all the way through the head, rather than a large drill bit and a Black & Decker.)

Failing that, the vintage-style Kluson types with the screws all in a straight line might just about cover the old holes, although I think the two at the ends will be visible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry, just realised that the holes are in opposite corners to yours.  You could try vintage style split-post ones (Kluson, Gotoh, Schaller all do them) - they might hide the existing holes once they're installed?
  • The guitar is sentimental so is most certainly a keeper, so as I think about it, if some holes were visible, I would be ok with that. So questions is, which are the best tuners that would need the least drilling?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 149
    hipshot do ones with plates so there's no drilling, they secure with the threaded bush on the front
    https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/product/hipshot-6-in-line-grip-lock-closed-tuners/
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    edited September 2020
    gjonesy said:
    hipshot do ones with plates so there's no drilling, they secure with the threaded bush on the front
    Ah  thanks. They look good. No idea if I need staggered or not though?!
    gjonesy said:
    They will still need the headstock reaming out to 10mm bores.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    gjonesy said:
    They will still need the headstock reaming out to 10mm bores.
    I have a reamer tool I bought when enlarging pot holes on my strat scratchpate which I guess would be suitable?

I have a reamer tool I bought when enlarging pot holes on my strat scratchpate which I guess would be suitable?
    Is it a tapered one? If so, then unfortunately not. You need a plain one - ideally, like the StewMac one which has an 8mm guide shaft so it self-centres in the existing hole.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems to me as if replica Kluson Safety ‘heads are the easiest option - possibly with adapter bushings.

Gotoh M.A.G. types are locking.
  • ICBM said:

Is it a tapered one? If so, then unfortunately not. You need a plain one - ideally, like the StewMac one which has an 8mm guide shaft so it self-centres in the existing hole.
    Ah ok...yes its tapered one