WezV DC Juniorish build

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Now you've mentioned John Birch, it's making me think of some of Dave Hill's guitars.

wwwslayedcouk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Great to see.   Very underrated player too !
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    When I picked up my les paul style John Birch project I was told it was one of Dave's old ones.... but the story was promptly forgotten as it didn't sound that likely and made no real difference to me or the guitar either way.

It came up on my Facebook memories a few weeks back, or I would have forgotten it totally.

Mine has the bound block inlays 

On rosewood or ebony you have a bit of fudge room as filler around the inlay can be hidden easily.  But its still nice to get as clean a route as possible.   On those woods you can lightly glue the inlay into position, scribe around and rub chalk dust into the line as a guide.

Maple is trickier.  Its much harder to get a good match with the filler, its also harder to get a nicely visible scribed line.  The way i do it is to gently glue the inlays into position.  one small dab of superlgue only

I then spray over it with some coloured lacquer

i then scribe around each inlay. then pop the inlay off

Even with a little lacquer bleed, its now really easy to see what i need to route away

All the red will disappear when I  radius the board - after inlay on this one

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    That's a very cool method of marking the locations.  Do you have the 'bad' side of the inlay up, or will the stain come of the inlays too when you radius the board?
    it will wipe off the inlays with a bit of thinners if needed, but i will just sand it away with the rest when radiusing now.

If i was doing this later in the process, i would seal the board first just to reduce any chance of the colour leeching too deep
    board is now glued onto the neck so i have radiused it ... first time seeing the inlays

Not too bad... inlaying into maple really does show every flaw.  if this was rosewood or ebony it would look perfect.

The real test will be how they look once fret are in.   I probably should have resized the pearl blocks to account for the addition of the black border, as some of these will be right up against the frets.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's starting to look interesting Wez.  I guess you're going to have to route some of the neck tenon away for the middle humbucker?  The cat seems to be very interested in the guitar too. 
    Just a little, the bottom of the tenon will still be there in the cavity.  

The cat is interested in everything
    Necks now carved and fretted.   Also found a logo disk for the headstock so thats in and has some black filler drying

neck carve - should come up nice once finished

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Necks now carved and fretted.   Also found a logo disk for the headstock so thats in and has some black filler drying

See what you mean about the 21st fret inlay just fitting.  I like the look though.  Is this one of your WV pearl logos?  They look great on my other guitars.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    Looking awesome. I love how all your builds are based on a standard design but different enough to offer something new.
    PhilKing said:
    WezV said:

See what you mean about the 21st fret inlay just fitting.  I like the look though.  Is this one of your WV pearl logos?  They look great on my other guitars.
    yeah, its a darker inlay than the blocks, and pearloid rather than pearl,  but should even out once finished.   I may add a black border to it too, just to match the fretboard... but i will likely do this in paint rather than inlay.

The blocks are big, but i'm happy now its fretted.   
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Looks really distinctive.    The large inlay blocks with the black outline make it stand out.  A real “stage guitar” i think 
    lovely work and an education as always ! 

Now all drilled and routed

That's looking great Wez.  Did you figure out what scratchplate shape you are going to use?
    I'm going to do a card templates for a special and junior style to see which works best.

edited December 2020
    I think I prefer junior style

To special style

But a switch chip may change my mind 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    Special for me.

The curve of the Junior 'guard is interrupted by the pickup which makes the pickup look like it shouldn't be there.

The Special has cleaner lines which aren't broken by a pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom