A (probably pointless) comparison of completely different guitars

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2807
edited September 2020 in Guitar
Decided to do this for fun more than anything else. I mean, they have different scale lengths, builds, strings and fundamental purposes. I didn't involve a plectrum as to me that would be a separate comparison altogether, but wanted to get a sense of the core tonal personalities of each one of them

The recordings are all composed of the same (or close enough) sections, three of them, some finger style rythm, a single note line and basic blues.

Each section has a sequence played at full volume and full tone pot, then repeated at half tone pot as I tend to roll the tone back when I play and wanted to hear what happens to all in that scenario.

In the image below:

A: A vintage Gibson with single P90, strung with 12s half wound 

B: A french jazz box by Dupont with a Benedetti HB sized P90 which I believe has magnetic pole pieces strung with 10s or 11s can't remember

C: Fano SP6 with a proprietary 'Fano P90' strung with 11s

D : The Heritage with a Seth Lover strung with 10s

All were played through the same exact amp settings with a bit of reverb, straight into the interface without any additional effects or eq ing.

The order of the image does not necessarily correspond to the order of the recordings, so have a go if you want at trying to match them up if you're feeling bored this Saturday afternoon  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Think #2 and #4 are the archtops. #4 is my favourite and #3 least favourite.

I’ll guess 
    1- D
    2- B
    3- C
    4- A
  • Thanks for playing @TINMAN82 ;

Will wait some time before revealing the matchup. Would be curious to hear what about #4 and #3 lead you to those opinions. 

Apologies for the background noise, I didn’t pick it up when monitoring as I was listening to the amp doh!
    Thanks for playing @TINMAN82 ;

Will wait some time before revealing the matchup. Would be curious to hear what about #4 and #3 lead you to those opinions. 

Apologies for the background noise, I didn’t pick it up when monitoring as I was listening to the amp doh!
    To be fair I’ve only listened through iPhone speakers so far! But 4 sounded more woody, warm and rounded for the jazz you were playing. 3 sounded like a wiry single coil and didn’t suit the style so well. None of them were terrible. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    D
    B
    A
    C

I think!

The first and last seem to have the most sustain, and the last is a little janglier than the first.

The middle two sound like archtops, and the third one is woodier than the second.

I don't really have any favourites, they all sound good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rossirossi Frets: 1741
    You should be able to knock out a song or three on any of them so dont worry .Just play .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just listened on decent headphones. Think I’ve mixed up 3 and 4 when listening earlier on my phone. 4 is definitely janglier and I think most likely to be C. So I agree with ICBMs order.

But it’s pretty close, all are peasant enough. Really interested in which one is that beautiful Gibson!
  • Cheers @icbm and @TINMAN82 ;

I'll reveal later today, see if anyone else takes a punt!

@rossi, you're absolutely right. I guess I was just curious to hear a dry sample of each one side by side as when you're playing them at bedroom volumes the feel and sound of that actual instruments get involved too.
  • So, here are the matchups:

1:C
    2:B
    3:A
    4:D

Its interesting that D is the jangliest despite it being a guitar I find to be a bit on the dark side of things. I wonder if the thinner strings of all makes it sound a bit brighter/sparklier. 

Solid attempts by @ICBM and @TINMAN82 thanks for playing!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom