Most versatile pickup set for a les paul

What's Hot
For about 200 quid
So I've a Les Paul copy and I'm looking to change the pickups.
I have a jb/jazz in it. Quite like the jazz but find the job nasal and muffled when clean but good fun with gain.

All recommendations welcomd
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Define what you mean by versatile.
    Do you mean different sounds, coil splits taps? A 3 in 1 pickup like the seymour duncan p-rails?

A guitar is not versatile really, its the player that is versatile. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Good point. Not a pickup that's good for clean playing alongside hard rock stuff. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Duncan ‘59 neck and Custom 5 bridge or something with a similar spec - PAF-type neck pickup, roughly 50% hotter bridge pickup, both Alnico V.

For me the most versatility is from pickups that complement each other rather than being too different in voicing. I don’t like the Jazz/JB combination at all, I think it brings out the worst in both pickups. The JB is a bit too hot and midrangy, although if you go too much lower it won’t do the hard rock sounds as well - and the Jazz is too soft and thin-sounding, which exaggerates the difference, so you can’t set the amp up ideally for both of them. In fact I would avoid Alnico II for the neck pickup at all unless both are - it makes an A5 or ceramic bridge sound too aggressive by comparison.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Crazyblue1779Crazyblue1779 Frets: 188
    edited September 2020
    I had an Epiphone Les Paul with an Iron
     Gear Hot Slag in the bridge and a Rolling Mill in the neck and it sounded fantastic. 

For the money Iron Gear are hard to beat.

Although at the moment I have a Vintage (brand not age!) Les Paul with Tonerider pickups in it ( I think it’s a Rocksong in the bridge and an Alinco 2 Classic in the neck) and it also sounds bloody lovely! The neck pickup in particular has real clarity.  
  • I've got ICBM's suggestion in my Epi LP and they're a good combination. The Custom Custom (which is the same as the Custom 5 with an a2 magnet) sounds too honky for my ears.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Buy the Stormy Monday set in the classifieds.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I’ve got a phoenix (not a les paul but mahogany + mahogany thru neck). 

Has a Duncan custom in the bridge thats splittable and a Duncan Phat cat p-90 in the neck (humbucker sized). 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • What kind of sounds are you aiming for ? Do you want low output or a bit more ?
  • I had an Epiphone Les Paul with an Iron
     Gear Hot Slag in the bridge and a Rolling Mill in the neck and it sounded fantastic. 

For the money Iron Gear are hard to beat.

Although at the moment I have a Vintage (brand not age!) Les Paul with Tonerider pickups in it ( I think it’s a Rocksong in the bridge and an Alinco 2 Classic in the neck) and it also sounds bloody lovely! The neck pickup in particular has real clarity.  

I had a set of Tonerider Generators in an Ibane RG450 years ago - they were both great, but I remember telling anyone who was vaguely interested that the neck pickup gave me "the sweetest lead tone I'd ever heard". I know that I'm prone to hyperbole for things like that, but it was very very nice indeed...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The P-Rails is surely a good for for versatility. It's 3 separate pickups in one.

If you want to stick with a normal humbucker I find that a vintage output pickup can be gained up, EQ'd and compressed to sound like a high output pickup but not vice versa.

And I think my favourite pickup - the Bare Knuckle Mule has a lot of versatility from being vintage output and also has a balanced frequency response, partly from using alnico iv, so you can sculpt the tone without having to fight a strong inherent character.
  • The new Alegree budget models are probably worth a look
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    normula1 said:
    I've got ICBM's suggestion in my Epi LP and they're a good combination. The Custom Custom (which is the same as the Custom 5 with an a2 magnet) sounds too honky for my ears.
    In a Les Paul it is, yes. It’s great in a brighter or more scooped-sounding guitar like a PRS or a Superstrat, where the C5 can be a bit too bright.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    leave the Jazz in the neck and team it up with a BKP VH2

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Good suggestion from Jon at Feline. That combo works well. I've had good results from BK Mule in neck and VH2 in bridge. They both split very well, too. I have a pair if you're interested.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited September 2020
    I used to play everything from blues up to modern metal on my LP with Bare Knuckle Mules. Probably wouldn't pay that much these days but the Irongear Blues Engine or the new Alegree PAFs would be pretty similar in spec I think. I was also a big fan of the Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in my old LP, maybe more so than the Mules as they had a bit more punch and character to them - the Oil City Airship Trooper looks to be a similar sort of thing and is much more sensibly priced!

The 59N/Custom 5 bridge is probably a good suggestion too, considering this in my SG for a general purpose rock and metal guitar. I have found the C5 a bit scooped but if I match it with a 59 it'll probably balance better than my current pickups and I can just EQ in more midrange at the amp.
  • I think PAFs are the most versatile Les Paul pickups. If you get ones that balance nicely in the middle position you can play funk with them, and obviously they go through blues to rock and at least as far as Ozzy-style metal territory. I wouldn't use them for anything tuned lower than C# but they'll do everything else.

I've had A4 PAFs (8.4k bridge, 6.9k neck) from Bare Knuckle and Mojo and, unsurprisingly given the specs were the same, they sounded well nigh identical. The Bare Knuckle bridge was a hair fatter and the Mojo neck a hint smoother, but we are talking minute differences. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.