Solo of the Month (SotM) #64 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited October 2020 in Making Music
This is the 64th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open ends at midnight 24th October 2020.

You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm64-2020-10-mind-the-quack

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Discussion:
I'm not sure what style this is. I started off trying to copy the drums from Like A Stone (Audioslave) then it ended up somewhere else.

Title: Mind The Quack

Tempo: 108 bpm.

Chords:
Gsus4  G  Gsus2  G
Gsus4  G  Gsus2  G
F(#4 no 3)  F  Fsus2   F
Gsus4  G  Gsus2  G
F(#4 no 3)  F  Fsus2   F
Gsus4  G  Gsus2   G

btw. The chord I've called F(#4 no3) has the notes F, B and C, so it's in effect a sus#4. I'm not sure of the official name for that.

The backing track has some headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've started this one early because I might not be able to do uploads over the next few days.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sent one in.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Sent one in.

That was quick. It's in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent one in.

@Bellycaster is on a hot streak in case you hadn't noticed ;)
  • Sent one in.

The Ouija Board is my secret weapon, I summon up Jimi and Gary for inspiration.

;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sent one in.

The Ouija Board is my secret weapon, I summon up Jimi and Gary for inspiration.

;)
    Hmmmm. That could be grounds for points being deducted. At least it would give the rest of us a chance.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone fancy providing a backing track for next month's SotM? I'm spending a lot of time away from home looking after my mother at the moment, so I've got limited time. If all else fails, I'll recycle one of my previous RotM entries as a backing track.

It's not a competition.
  • Anyone fancy providing a backing track for next month's SotM? I'm spending a lot of time away from home looking after my mother at the moment, so I've got limited time. If all else fails, I'll recycle one of my previous RotM entries as a backing track.

I'll do one if you like.

I'll do one if you like.
    That would be great if you can spare the time.
    It's not a competition.

I'll do one if you like.
    That would be great if you can spare the time.
    Yep...already cooked! Bit of mixing to do and I'll send it over ;)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    If you want some more after that I am more than happy to put something together, or pull some sections from my existing songs and loop for soloing.  Just give me a shout.
  • Bezzer said:
    If you want some more after that I am more than happy to put something together, or pull some sections from my existing songs and loop for soloing.  Just give me a shout.
    Thanks for the offer. Feel free to send one for next month if you have the time. It's good to get other inputs.
    It's not a competition.
  • A reminder that the deadline is midnight 24th October 2020.

There's a chance a might have to carry this one over if we don't get more entries and if I don't get time to do mine.

It's not a competition.
  • Managed to do mine today. That's 2 entries in the playlist.

It's not a competition.

Was just about to say that it's getting lonely in the playlist :)
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Mine will be in before the deadline. Probably Saturday though. 

Done in the nick of time while I was at home in Exmouth yesterday. Today it looks like I'm going to be stuck in Stoke on Trent looking after my ill mother for some time, as it's going into tier 2 on Saturday. I'm not expecting to see the wife anytime soon.

Still I've got my travel guitar, a basic Line 6 GX interface and my laptop with me.

It's not a competition.

Done in the nick of time while I was at home in Exmouth yesterday. Today it looks like I'm going to be stuck in Stoke on Trent looking after my ill mother for some time, as it's going into tier 2 on Saturday. I'm not expecting to see the wife anytime soon.

Still I've got my travel guitar, a basic Line 6 GX interface and my laptop with me.

Sorry to hear that your Mum is ill @stratman3142 , pretty rough situation you're in. Is it Covid related regarding your Mum? Hope she pulls through if so.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2020

Sorry to hear that your Mum is ill @stratman3142 , pretty rough situation you're in. Is it Covid related regarding your Mum? Hope she pulls through if so.
    Thanks. Not Covid related. She won't pull through because she's 89 and was diagnosed with stomach cancer over 2 years ago. She's now bed ridden and ready to go. I'm here with my brother and we get regular visits from the carers.

It's all fine and everyone's prepared. Just a bit of a pain I can't make short trips home to Exmouth for the moment.

It's not a competition.

• Sorry to hear that your Mum is ill @stratman3142 , pretty rough situation you're in. Is it Covid related regarding your Mum? Hope she pulls through if so.
    Thanks. Not Covid related. She won't pull through because she's 89 and was diagnosed with stomach cancer over 2 years ago. She's now bed ridden and ready to go. I'm here with my brother and we get regular visits from the carers.

It's all fine and everyone's prepared. Just a bit of a pain I can't make short trips home to Exmouth for the moment.

That's very sad to hear, all the best over the coming days.