Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bad Cat - The Paw - Ultimate lunch box head.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Danny1969 said:
    If they had made it with a little 10 watt valve power amp in it then it would be the perfect amp for me. Looks like it's got a class D power amp in it, so no idea why they are using one of the valves as a phase inverter @ICBM ?
    I missed this earlier, but my guess is that because the standard Bad Cat designs use a post-phase-inverter master volume and thus the PI is where a lot of the characteristic distortion is created, they've carried that over regardless of whether they actually use both sides of it to drive the power amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:
    If they had made it with a little 10 watt valve power amp in it then it would be the perfect amp for me. Looks like it's got a class D power amp in it, so no idea why they are using one of the valves as a phase inverter @ICBM ?
    I missed this earlier, but my guess is that because the standard Bad Cat designs use a post-phase-inverter master volume and thus the PI is where a lot of the characteristic distortion is created, they've carried that over regardless of whether they actually use both sides of it to drive the power amp.
    I haven't looked at the circuit, but they do have the "K-master" MV which certainly seems to work differently to any trad MV I've used elsewhere.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • what a cool amp! seems like the kinda thing that will get copied by other boutique manufacturers in the same way the THR led to a bunch of THR-alikes.
  • mrkb said:
    keir said:
    Jason said:
    Ah, yes, that must be the case. I guess someone snagged the last one of the first batch between last night and this morning then. You snooze you lose  :/  I was hoping they would be confirmed in stock on Friday, which happens to be payday.

Please let us know what you think of it! 

will do, will probably friday :( on too many zoom calls until then
    How are you getting on with your Paw?
    I’d be interested in hearing those thoughts as well. Especially how good the sound is through the internal 6” speakers (amp and aux/MP3 sounds)
    Me too.  I'd also love to know how it sounds through a cab, if you've tried that.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    mrkb said:
    keir said:
    Jason said:
    Ah, yes, that must be the case. I guess someone snagged the last one of the first batch between last night and this morning then. You snooze you lose  :/  I was hoping they would be confirmed in stock on Friday, which happens to be payday.

Please let us know what you think of it! 

will do, will probably friday :( on too many zoom calls until then
    How are you getting on with your Paw?
    I’d be interested in hearing those thoughts as well. Especially how good the sound is through the internal 6” speakers (amp and aux/MP3 sounds)
    Me too.  I'd also love to know how it sounds through a cab, if you've tried that.
    Perhaps we need to ping @Jason to get his attention ;) Hes probably too busy playing to notice our questions.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I didn't get a notification?? odd, oh well @keir @mrkb

Its great, so far I've only used the internal speakers, it is very loud if you want it to be.

It took quite a while before I settled on my sound, its selection 8 with the fat switch on, I wish I could find out what "8" is based on.

I found it easier to dial in with a Strat than a LP, but now I have it, I can get that classic rock /  Black Crowes rhythm sound now, I think Rich Robinson was using a Matchless from the second album onwards, so it is that Voxy vibe, it has plenty of grunt if you want it, but for me it is best on the edge of breakup

I really want to try a Cub 40R now

In short - yes its very good, I hope to do some recording with it soon

J

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Thanks Jason. Have you tried using the aux/MP3 input ? Would be interested if the internal speakers work Ok for playing guitar along with a backing track. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    I haven't, my iphone has the stupid connector and I don't have a converter - sorry
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • While you're answering questions on it @Jason - sounds like you've been using the Impulse Responses through the speakers, is that right? I couldn't tell from the demos whether they were just for the direct outputs or not. How do the speakers sound with the IRs disabled then?

tFB Trader
    While you're answering questions on it @Jason - sounds like you've been using the Impulse Responses through the speakers, is that right? I couldn't tell from the demos whether they were just for the direct outputs or not. How do the speakers sound with the IRs disabled then?

I didn't know you could disable them :) I've just been playing through the 16 IR and with the fat switch on or off, so 32 sounds, thats more than enough for me
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 652
    edited November 2020
    I think you just press the IR selector down to switch them off? Mentioned in this video, I think:

Edit: 2:50 - ish
    tFB Trader
    I think you just press the IR selector down to switch them off? Mentioned in this video, I think:

Edit: 2:50 - ish
    I’ll try that. The online manual tells you absolutely nothing. Ta
  • @Jason thanks for sharing your thoughts - it sounds great! Do you plan to run it through a cab, or are you mainly using it as a practice and recording tool?
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    tFB Trader
    @Jason thanks for sharing your thoughts - it sounds great! Do you plan to run it through a cab, or are you mainly using it as a practice and recording tool?
    Cheers. Just practice and recording. I’ve got a Lazy J and Marshall Studio Vintage for live, but I was really unhappy with recording demos with the simulations so I thought this would be the perfect solution. Just not had any time to record yet
  • God damn that's an exciting product, I want one. I've got a Black Cat 15R head but that seems a bit unecessary for a home player....
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I’ve set up email alerts at TGP for the thread on the Paw there. Got this through this morning

QUOTE:

So, I cancelled another Andertons order for a Paw - I was advised after about a month that I should receive it sometime around the 11th December, but that date passed, and then I got an update this week from Andertons stating:

" We appreciate that this has been a frustrating process, for the last few weeks Badcat have been sending regular deliveries that should have completed all orders by mid-December. We tested all the amps on arrival but found problems that they have been able to identify as a fault in the voltage transformer. They have now found a replacement transformer which is more robust, the first units are being fitted with these and will be sent to us shortly. Once we have tested them and confirmed we are happy with the product, Badcat will move to full production of the Paw with the new part. Unfortunately this means we are now not expecting to be able to fulfil your order until sometime in January."

I'm assuming this only an issue when the voltage isn't 110V, so US Paws likely aren't affected, but I'd be careful if you have one and plan to travel with it outside a 110V territory.
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How has yours been @Jason? Any problems? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    How has yours been @Jason? Any problems? 
    Absolutely fine. No issues at all 
  • That's good. I was expecting one from this batch that they've found problems with. No Paw for Christmas  :/  Two weeks off work too! 
  • boz_hboz_h Frets: 53
    I am one of the people who got a faulty one.  Plugged it in,  hummed/buzzed like a fridge which got louder, then it started to smell like burning plastic.   So waiting until January until its replaced.