Warmoth Superstrat Project completed

stanstan Frets: 190
Hi, I thought i`d show off my Warmoth superstrat build that`s just been completed.  I`ve been wanting something of a cross between a strat and a Les Paul.  I don`t get on with the weight and ergonomics of a Les Paul and i`ve been down that rabbit hole too many times.
I like the ergonomics of a strat but wanted twin humbuckers, figured top and light weight.  To this end,  I searched and found a warmoth body that had a hideous boot polish type of coating on it and was in rough condition. I liked the body and knew just the man who could transform it from it`s hideous state into the superb example it is now.

I speak of course of the superlative Rich Rendall from Wales ....otherwise known around these parts as  @lamf68 ;   guitar refinisher to the stars ...  well, a super guy who will make a work of art out of a body...or neck in need of any amount of  transformation.

A price was agreed and I left Rich to  it...impatiently.  I got fotos of the work in progress and was dismayed to hear about a hold up due to that `boot polish` finish on the guitar not wanting to come off....at all !    eventually, after many extra hours of labour, the desired result was achieved and the body was ready for spraying.  nitro of course and Rich is a master at using it.

When the job was done, he adamantly refused extra payment as he says he never goes back on his word.  a man of principle indeed but I sent him an increased payment anyway.  that`ll learn him  Lol ...

I had fun searching for a good  set of new humbuckers and settled on a pair of Bulldog fat pafs which i`m delighted with. Hayden was great to deal with and i`ll be going back for more presently.

I found a really nice new maple neck in Holland. somewhat fuller than the modern average although nowhere near the `baseball bat ` version of the early Gibbos. rather like a modern Les Paul. I like a bit of meat on my necks and a new set of Schaller locking tuners completed that job.

A nice Tonepros bridge plus all brand new ancilliaries completed the project. I got John LeVoi of Lincs to  give it a good set up and i`m delighted with how everything has turned out.  In fact, i`m rather fired up about this guitar project malarcky and i`ve got loads of ideas as to what the next one will be.  darn nuisance that.  there`s always the next guitar calling no matter what you do !

I`ll probably sell this guitar and get started on my next dream project. the planning and scheming seems to be as much fun as seeing the finished build
Anyway, i just wanted to show what can be done with a battered guitar body and a cunning plan.  I also wanted to highlight Rich`s work as his input has really been the the backbone of this project guitar.

Guitar projects ?  I highly recommend them.

imageimage" alt="">imageimage" alt="">imageimage" alt="">
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments