Odd pot values

ricorico Frets: 1221
Measuring the tone pots in my two LP's I get the following values (measured across the two outer lugs - one is soldered to the pot and the other is not connected to anything)

2005 LP Standard
Neck tone: 405k
Bridge tone: 510k

1986 LP Studio
Neck tone: 107k
Bridge tone: 107k

I get the variance for the Standard but what's going on with the LP Studio?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Either someone has put 100K pots in it, or there's a short somewhere.

Make sure you measure them with the controls at 0, that will tell you which it is - when the knob is at 0 the rotor is at the other end of the track so you should get a clear reading on just the pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15266
    c. 100k pots belong in the realms of active circuitry.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    c. 100k pots belong in the realms of active circuitry.
    Or jazz guitars. Gibson did use them in some models in the 1970s, but not in a Les Paul.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein