Stagebox Snake... any recommendations / any to avoid?

What's Hot
StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3595
edited October 2020 in Live
We are looking at a 8-12 way stage box with some returns to tidy up our live setup but also to meet Covid risk assessments at rehearsals easier to comply with.

I used an unbranded one at some xmas events which seemed to have a couple of dead sockets.  I see some branded SSSNAKE at around the £80-£100 mark.

Any good?

Thanks for any thoughts.  Budget max around £150
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'd be tempted to go all in and use a digital mixer on stage with apps. Behringer seem to offer some great options. You can be fingers off the controls, stage box not needed and little setup and associated backup. Very compact.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    SSSnake is Thomanns own brand, good value for ins and outs but sockets are Chinese tin copies of Neutrik and break easy. I have 2 of these, a 24 \ 4 and a 16 \ 4  but changed all the sockets and plugs for Neutrik years ago. 

I would echo @ESBlonde though, digital is the way to go as it makes the snake redundant, mixing desk out front redundant and generally makes life a lot easier. 

The 12 channel Soundcraft Ui is £219, the 16 channel version £335, so cheap it's a no brainer 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Thanks... I have access to one of those... but find them fiddly.  We have a big desk that is also a full digital interface we use...  still need to get the mics to a rack unit.  Its mainly to tidy wires and stop people needing to crowd mixer setting up
  • Danny1969 said:
    SSSnake is Thomanns own brand, good value for ins and outs but sockets are Chinese tin copies of Neutrik and break easy. I have 2 of these, a 24 \ 4 and a 16 \ 4  but changed all the sockets and plugs for Neutrik years ago. 

I would echo @ESBlonde though, digital is the way to go as it makes the snake redundant, mixing desk out front redundant and generally makes life a lot easier. 

The 12 channel Soundcraft Ui is £219, the 16 channel version £335, so cheap it's a no brainer 

Yep. That was my impression of the ones I’ve used.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited October 2020
    It’s funny how whenever someone asks for an analogue solution everybody recommends going digital!

if your looking for a 8/12 way snake at this moment in time keep an eye on eBay loads of pro stuff coming out for peanuts as the industry tumbles into dust. 

I would recommend on the new stuff anything by Proel or company called The Loudest

Edit: quick look on eBay 3rd result here’s your winner https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Loudest-com-20m-XLR-Multicore-Stagebox-Audio-Cable/264881372950?hash=item3dac28ff16:g:NMUAAOSwvvhfc2GC
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • It’s funny how whenever someone asks for an analogue solution everybody recommends going digital!

if your looking for a 8/12 way snake at this moment in time keep an eye on eBay loads of pro stuff coming out for peanuts as the industry tumbles into dust. 

I would recommend on the new stuff anything by Proel or company called The Loudest

Edit: quick look on eBay 3rd result here’s your winner https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Loudest-com-20m-XLR-Multicore-Stagebox-Audio-Cable/264881372950?hash=item3dac28ff16:g:NMUAAOSwvvhfc2GC
    Appreciated. Thanks.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    The Thomann ones (sssnake) can vary wildly depending on who had hold of the soldering iron that day. 

I picked up a couple of 8 way ones which started to drop channels after a few uses. I opened the boxes up and the soldering job was immaculate, couldn't have been any neater and better finished. Opened up the XLR connectors on the tails and I'd never seen worse terminations in my life, cables barely attached, horrendous quality across every connector. Stevie Wonder would have done a better solder job with one hand tied behind his back. Can't have been the same person did the box and the tails!!
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3595
    edited October 2020
    mike257 said:
    The Thomann ones (sssnake) can vary wildly depending on who had hold of the soldering iron that day. 

I picked up a couple of 8 way ones which started to drop channels after a few uses. I opened the boxes up and the soldering job was immaculate, couldn't have been any neater and better finished. Opened up the XLR connectors on the tails and I'd never seen worse terminations in my life, cables barely attached, horrendous quality across every connector. Stevie Wonder would have done a better solder job with one hand tied behind his back. Can't have been the same person did the box and the tails!!
    Thanks..

i generally make all my own cables with neutrik parts...looking at making my own for this too now.  Fills time in lockdown.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited October 2020

I’ve got one of these https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01424/12-way-8-4-loaded-xlr-stage-box/dp/DP29354?st=stagebox. Bought for a project but never used if your going down that route
    mind you postage probably wouldn’t make it worth our while!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    mike257 said:

Thanks..

i generally make all my own cables with neutrik parts...looking at making my own for this too now.  Fills time in lockdown.
    I mean, if you're handy with an iron anyway, and buying them with an expectation that they'll need some TLC, they're alright. Lobbing all the ends off and replacing with Neutriks is on my to do list at some point!