Is there a pedal that will do this?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
Is there a pedal that will do the whole "tighten up a high-gain channel ala Tubescreamer" but when on the clean channel wont act like a distortion?? Just curious mainly. Not even sure I need it.

I don't think a clean boost is the right idea. Perhaps a mid boost of some sort?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    An EQ is probably your best bet? Take off some low end and peak the mids.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited July 2014

A GE-7, just like Adam Jones - though don't buy an un-modded one. Although it was a DOD for a long time

You could buy a mid-boost but the you're tied to the boost frequency someone else has designated and may not work with your setup.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    I'd say that would be a combination of EQ and compression.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Yes, EQ. Lower the bottom end and top end slightly, and boost the mids. That's essentially what a Tube Screamer is doing as well as adding dirt.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'll have a play with my stuff (drive pedals) sometime tomorrow and see what gives the best results. I suspect the GV-2 with the gain turned down and the deep turned up a little.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I would think the Suhr Koko would do that?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    Seems to me that a parametric EQ is what you want. 
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    I'd say that would be a combination of EQ and compression.
    I was thinking this

more in a sense of one or the other. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    The old Ibanez CP9 compressor: thinner, brighter, squashed (can be subtle).  More focused.   Old Maxon cp9 should be the same thing.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I think you should get a DOD fx40b EQ but that may be mainly because i have one for sale in the classifieds xD
    I know a lot of people that use the MXR micro amps and Echoplex preamps for this purpose though so maybe you should give them a look?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    It seems like an EQ might be the solution, but I don't really want to lose much of the low-end on the clean channel. Ideally I'm thinking this could be something I leave turned on. Mainly just to tighten up my high-gain tones, but I don't want any additional crunch on my clean channel. Which kinda rules out boosts, overdrives, and distortions.

I guess parametric EQ might be the best, because then I can notch out the suspect frequency and not affect my cleans *too* much.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    I'd say an Xotic EP. However, you'd have to find the best place in your chain to use it so that it doesn't give you a volume hike if you're kicking it in, otherwise, if leaving it on all the time, it's great.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Thinking about the Source Audio programmable EQ. Anyone ever used one?
  • I have the MXR 10 Band EQ and its the best I've ever used from experience. Runs at 18v I think, and its very tweakable.

Plus its got loads of lights...
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• Drew_fx said:
    Thinking about the Source Audio programmable EQ. Anyone ever used one?
    Yeah, it was way too much for me, but a beautiful thing in terms of sound and use.  I didn't notice any digital sound coloration either, but I might not be as sensitive as others (not heard anyone else say it either though). 

Watch the demos to get a good idea, but you can easily switch from one eq (say, mid boost) to another (bright and bassy mid scooped clean) easily.  And there is a cycle option!

The only thing I didn't like was it's 6 band - 10 would make it much, MUCH more powerful but even more overkill.  I feel like it's bonkers enough to pull it off, though.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    @Drew_fx I think @ragingben had a Source EQ
    One on Fleecebay for £79, otherwise £120-130 new
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    If you can get the danelectro fish and chips eq for about 20ish second hand, you'll get a good idea of whether the eq will work! It's the best 'for the price' eq you can get by far!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    And if you want to upgrade after, they are real easy to flip!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    Pete Cornish ST2. Exactly what you describe.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 111
    Really impressed with my Source Audio EQ, although I don't currently use it. I liked it because of the presets and MIDI, and it made no negative impact on my tone. Build quality is also good, and it is a no brainer if you go for a MIDI setup.