Tools made in UK you would like to see

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    TTony said:
    I'm currently working with someone who has put this fret slotting jig together

It's just about at final prototype stage.

The template include 6 separate scale lengths (with another template for bass scale lengths).

It's a more secure design than the StewMac version (which I've got), and is also more accurate.
    It always good to see good product made even better . Well done
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    edited October 2020
    @axisus - so am I!

I compared/contrasted it with the StewMac equivalent (which is about 3x the price, or more once you add in the scale templates) and in many ways this jig is better.  The template sits more securely within the jig and the slot positions are cut more accurately.  We've been getting into some very detailed measurements, and this one is definitely more reliable.

@crunchman

Exactly so.   I've got the guitar-scale lengths on that template, but there's another one  for basses and  baritones.  It's a clever way of doing it, and saves a fortune compared to the StewMac approach.

@jazzthat

I can take no credit for the design or the implementation - I'm just the test pilot!  We've fine-tuned a couple of aspects of the design over the past couple of weeks, and I'm going to give it (hopefully) final tests tomorrow.  Then it'll be good to go to market.

It's intended for the hobby market rather than the semi-pro  -just because of the materials used.  It you're building a guitar a month, this is going to last a good few years.  If you're building one a day, then you've already got far better tools for the job!!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:

@jazzthat

I can take no credit for the design or the implementation - I'm just the test pilot!  We've fine-tuned a couple of aspects of the design over the past couple of weeks, and I'm going to give it (hopefully) final tests tomorrow.  Then it'll be good to go to market.

It's intended for the hobby market rather than the semi-pro  -just because of the materials used.  It you're building a guitar a month, this is going to last a good few years.  If you're building one a day, then you've already got far better tools for the job!!

Either way this is a good thing ! It does take a tool inventor and guitar builder to create a tool that's reliable and fit for purpose .

I am still away from a finishing line on my fret bender build  and unsure if anybody would pay a lot more for it than what's already on the market .
    All I can say , this is going to be a solid tool made to last .
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    The Chinese fret benders on Feebay tend to work ok for occasional use.

There are videos on YouTube of how to make your own using the bearings from those fidget spinners that were a craze a few years ago.

There are various options.

Notched straight edges, and radius sanding beams seem to be harder to find at good prices though.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Ive been looking for a fret-tang nipper. A uk made one of those would be superb.
  • Kalimna said:
    Ive been looking for a fret-tang nipper. A uk made one of those would be superb.
    I made myself one of these a few weeks back, by modifying a metal sheet nipper. 
  • A fret board chip out protector would be good. =)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    gary_mac said:
    Kalimna said:
    Would you mind posting a photo, id be keen to give it a shot.
    Cheers,
    Adan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Kalimna said:
    gary_mac said:
    Kalimna said:
    Would you mind posting a photo, id be keen to give it a shot.
    Cheers,
    Ada.  

I'd like to see some photos too :) . Sounds like a perfect DIY project
  • I rather stupidly posted the pics in the other thread about tools :/
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 262
    Nut files! 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader
    Tele bridge & string/ferrule drilling jig might be good, and a pretty good application for CNC making. Even better if it had hardened guides/inserts.
    There's someone in the States doing one which is a solid block, no guides. Price-wise I think that one's about 30 quid? And then you've got shipping and taxes + handling charge on that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    I'll second that @Corvus ;