Fender Style Headstock: 2nd String Tree

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
I know that on a 6-inline Fender style headstock, staggered tuners really do not yield the optimal break angle on the 1st and 2nd strings.

MusicMan's 4+2 headstock seemed to address this effectively by bringing the 1st and 2nd posts closer to the nut. Ibanez back-angle their headstock, which works effectively too.

My question is however - on a Fender headstock, do we really need a second string tree (for G & D) strings?

What des it achieve by increasing the break angle? And does this apply only to the open string? (i.e. is the effect negligible when the string is fretted?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    I know that on a 6-inline Fender style headstock, staggered tuners really do not yield the optimal break angle on the 1st and 2nd strings.

My question is however - on a Fender headstock, do we really need a second string tree (for G & D) strings?
    If you have one string tree and staggered tuners put the shorter two tuners on the G and D strings.
    jaymenon said:
    What des it achieve by increasing the break angle? And does this apply only to the open string? (i.e. is the effect negligible when the string is fretted?
    It increases the downforce on the nut, eliminating any tendency for the string to buzz and keeping the string tight in the centre of the slot. Yes it only really affects open notes.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    Thanks Steve - informative and clear as usual :-)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    If you have vintage style Kluson Fender tuners, make sure the G and D strings have plenty of winds around the posts, on the G string right to the bottom of the post. Then you’ve just about got sufficient break angle not to require a second string tree.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Like the other guys, I just wind the strings on the D and G strings further down the tuner post. I’ve never noticed a problem. I’ve owned strats with the second string tree, but since I typically like vintage styled guitars, I personally prefer the single string tree.