7 gauge strings

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
This guy seems so happy
Maybe I should try some

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    Give it a try - works for Billy Gibbons!
    i put 8s on my lad’s guitar and it still sounded great but played so easily. 
    Macho players will reply saying 11s sound better - Dick Dale would laugh in their faces
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    I don't know whether the difference between the sounds of gauges is a placebo effect or real but to my ears there is a tiny difference. but not enough to really care about.

I once tried 8s on a telecaster and i couldn't get on as i kept pulling everything out of tune when playing, but i am not delicate i any way.

try them and they might work out for you
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Rick Beato did a really good video on it.

He thinks lighter gauge strings sound better.
  • Must admit I changed down to 8s last year as my hands are getting worse, and found they sounded great. I had to use a lighter pick as well. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    I like .06..

For my Low E.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    Rotosound actually did do 6s in the 1980s... have a look at the ad cutting halfway down the page here:

https://www.rotosound.com/history-4/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    ICBM said:
    Rotosound actually did do 6s in the 1980s... have a look at the ad cutting halfway down the page here:

https://www.rotosound.com/history-4/

That is mental. I’d like to play them just to experience it haha
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Considering how different each size feels compared to any subtle difference in the sound, surely it only makes sense to choose based on preferred feel?

I mean, in what real world situation is the tone difference between two adjacent string sizes going to matter? Whereas the string tension completely affects how everything you play feels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    thegummy said:
    Considering how different each size feels compared to any subtle difference in the sound, surely it only makes sense to choose based on preferred feel?

I mean, in what real world situation is the tone difference between two adjacent string sizes going to matter? Whereas the string tension completely affects how everything you play feels.
    yep
    hence I use a set with higher gauge bottom 3 strings, because  I like the feel of tighter wound strings, but want to bend the top 3 easily