Tone Pot on Neck / Middle not functioning

What's Hot
SRichSRich Frets: 765
edited October 2020 in Guitar
I wonder if the assembled knowledge of the Fretboard can help with this one?

I picked up a Silver Sky from @skippy76 ;yesterday (it's ex Adrian @ThorpyFX so it did a journey from Brackley to London and then back up to me in Oxfordshire) and the Tone Pot on Neck / Middle isn't functioning at all.....no response. It had a pickguard change in recent days. Now I'm not a solderer by any poor description of one, so I have no clue if what I see is the culprit......I had hoped to catch the eye of @ICBM ;;

Any eagle eye suggestions chaps?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Don’t know where in Oxfordshire you are but there’s a guy on Cumnor Hill who may be able to help you out. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74490
    If the bridge one works it's got to be the pot. It's unlikely that both the switch terminals for the neck and middle would be not making contact at the same time, and it can't be the cap since it's the same one. The solder connections look good so it has to be the pot.

Sometimes the terminal makes a poor contact with the trackboard where it's rivetted - try squeezing the terminal hard onto the board with a pair of fine-nose pliers - the one on the right where the cap is soldered. You should be able to do it in situ.

If that doesn't fix it I'd guess you need a new pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    Thanks chaps......I’m sure it’s serendipitous but still I’d rather be playing it than driving off in these socially distanced times.

Dave Smart at Cumnor Hill would be my go to......I need to see how busy he is.

Much appreciate the fast responses as ever.

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 625
    Thanks @ICBM sound advice as usual!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    SRich said:
    Thanks chaps......I’m sure it’s serendipitous but still I’d rather be playing it than driving off in these socially distanced times.

Dave Smart at Cumnor Hill would be my go to......I need to see how busy he is.

Much appreciate the fast responses as ever.
    That’s who I was thinking of!

At the start of lockdown he was able to do some work for me with a couple of days wait. Lovely gut to deal with and a few minutes from my front door. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    edited October 2020
    ICBM said:
    Sometimes the terminal makes a poor contact with the trackboard where it's rivetted - try squeezing the terminal hard onto the board with a pair of fine-nose pliers - the one on the right where the cap is soldered.
    Thanks @ICBM ........that was the indeed the right solution! Expert Wiz awarded for your essential experience......I’m sure you need the should get the Fretboard equivalent of an MBE...  cheers mate.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74490
    Great!

I've lost count of the number I've fixed like that... the usual one is the ground terminal on a volume pot where it's been bent back to solder to the casing and strained the rivet - it's unusual on a tone control, but logic dictated that it was the likely cause :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2020
    You're brighter than the Northern star mate.....thanks again.