Cheap solderless wiring harness kit SG? And further tails of woe, bonfire planned

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    edited October 2020
    Isn't there anyone on here that lives in your neck of the woods willing to have a go at putting it together just as a favour or for petrol money or a nominal mates rates, just to preserve your sanity? You could line the cavities to reduce the noise. I did that on my test bed tele a few weeks ago. I wrongly thought it was a waste of time because it was just as noisy until I traced down the problem to something not on the guitar. Wouldn't take long to solder in a couple of pickups. Sounds like the only major issue is getting the neck angle set correctly. Getting it all put together shouldn't really be that difficult. The set up isn't difficult but you need the tools. You could pass it to a luthier for setup and that £50 could really transform it. Spray it burgundy, sign the pickguard "Angus Young", hang it on the wall and make it a talking point with visitors; if you're not in Tier 3.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    edited October 2020
    Devil#20 said:
    Isn't there anyone on here that lives in your neck of the woods willing to have a go at putting it together just as a favour or for petrol money or a nominal mates rates, just to preserve your sanity? You could line the cavities to reduce the noise. I did that on my test bed tele a few weeks ago. I wrongly thought it was a waste of time because it was just as noisy until I traced down the problem to something not on the guitar. Wouldn't take long to solder in a couple of pickups. Sounds like the only major issue is getting the neck angle set correctly. Getting it all put together shouldn't really be that difficult. The set up isn't difficult but you need the tools. You could pass it to a luthier for setup and that £50 could really transform it. Spray it burgundy, sign the pickguard "Angus Young", hang it on the wall and make it a talking point with visitors; if you're not in Tier 3.  
    Thanks but I think my sanity is best preserved by leaving it alone and accepting it as a bad job. I don't like the look or feel of it, no idea what it actually sounds like but I'm fairly sure SG guitars aren't made for my style of music anyway.

Another £50 plus pickups plus finding the time to take it anywhere is more investment than it's worth, considering the kit itself was only £80 but I've spent about £200 on it already and it's still junk. No, it's best served rotting in the loft so I can just move on
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15222
    Clubbercise
    Does this mean that you are eminently clubbable? ;)
    Yes, assuming the 2020 definition of clubbable is that I can jump around with glowsticks to to cheesy 90s dance music.
    I was thinking fur seal. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.