Vintage V100 - how much ‘better’ would a better guitar be?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11858
    tFB Trader
    I bought the Vintage SG copy a couple of years back for about £150, played superb, but the sound was a bit muddy and kept going out of tune. So put '50's wiring loom and second hand Gibson classic '57 pick ups in, then a set of second hand Gibson tuners...totally transformed it and probably cost me a total of about £300 odd. Compared to my 2017 Gibson SG standard I had at the time there wasn't much in it, but the Gibson was better.
       I also had a PRS SE with single P90 and 2015 Gibson special at the same time(minus the auto tuners and brass nut). I'd say the PRS was possibly a better quality and played a fraction nicer, but lacked the character. The Gibson had a certain 'gruffness' to it, just felt/sounded a bit more raw/rock 'n roll.
       Very similar to Chinese/Korean/Japanese cars built almost to perfection, but little character compared to the European cars, especially the Italians, just bursting with character and flair, but with poor quality and reliability.
       Depends what you want.
    I used to have a 1970s Lancia Beta HPE ... a real collectors car ... every day you had to collect the bits that fell off :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AndyGT75 said:
    elstoof said:
    You’re replying to a 3 year old thread kiddo.    elstoof said:
    You’re replying to a 3 year old thread 

Sorry, Mr Forum monitor. Kiddo?

You got off lightly here. I once replied to an old thread and he called me a cunt
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    dazzajl said:
    TheMarlin said:
    …….. and setup was better than the Gibson on arrival. 

That Gibson must have been bad! I set up the Vintage ;)
    Yes, but I immediately to it to be setup by Steve, and it didn’t need anywhere near as much work as the Gibson.  If memory serves, the Gibson LP
    had high spots on 5 frets.  That’s not really acceptable for a guitar of that price. 

The Gibson ES195 needed 14 frets sorting. That was seriously uncool. Though, it’s a cool
    guitar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2759
    roberty said:
    AndyGT75 said:
    elstoof said:

You got off lightly here. I once replied to an old thread and he called me a cunt
    That was just a coincidence 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:
    roberty said:
    AndyGT75 said:
    elstoof said:

That was just a coincidence 
    It only hurt because it's true
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom