Keith Urban - tell me more

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
in Music tFB Trader
I keep hearing the odd track on R2 - Not heard a bad track of his yet - Own no album of his - I know he is rated as a guitar player - So maybe I should buy the odd album - What do you suggest 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try the albums Golden Road and Days Go By.
    Some great playing on there with a more country rock feel than the more recent country pop phase.
    Great live too.
    Find the CMT Crossroads with him and John Mayer. A veritable guitar fest of tasty guitars and playing.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Try the albums Golden Road and Days Go By.
    Some great playing on there with a more country rock feel than the more recent country pop phase.
    Great live too.
    Find the CMT Crossroads with him and John Mayer. A veritable guitar fest of tasty guitars and playing.
    Hi Dave - I thought I might hear from you - Hope you are well - I don't mind the country pop vibe as well - Only heard a few tracks on R2 so not sure if these are the pick of a poor album, or a good album - To me there is a bit of B Adams early years about him in that rocky pop and good songs - Thanks for comments so far
  • Theres a track on an early album 'The Ranch' called Clutterbilly where he properly let's rip.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think the only thing I have with him on is this which isn’t really his record but I always thought it was great fun

https://youtu.be/9F_FN4ygjTo
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Days Go By is a good album. My particular faves are “Nobody drinks alone” and “Raining on Sunday”. However “Somebody like you” is a good tune and I like the guitar tone in the solo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    defying gravity and fuse are two good albums from Keith
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168

The earlier stuff is where its at !

Later releases have brought in a new/modern vibe ("Fuze" onwards...) which are still alright, but for more tone & guitar go with "Golden Road" through to "Get Closer".

His first live DVD "Livin' Right Now" is brilliant & very representative of his live show at that time, which I saw in Glasgow and is one of the most memorable I've seen in 40 years of gigs !
  • Schmo said:

The earlier stuff is where its at !

(Edit)

His first live DVD "Livin' Right Now" is brilliant & very representative of his live show at that time, which I saw in Glasgow and is one of the most memorable I've seen in 40 years of gigs !
    Couldn’t agree more. I’ve seen him live a few times and thoroughly enjoyed all the gigs. But the first gig at the Scala in London was incredible. Small venue gig squeezed in between a few dates opening for Bryan Adams.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Thanks - Sounds like a few I need to buy rather than just one for now and dipping the toe in the water
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited October 2020
    Definitely "Days go by" as an introduction. Great voice, great writer and decent guitar player. Also a proper guitar geek. He lost some guitars in the Nashville floods a few years back that could make us all weep. He has also managed to stay married to Nicole Kidman for too long to remember while being found face down in the hall more times than any mere married man could manage with our own mortal partners 

Nobody Drinks Alone, is without doubt one of the most wonderful/difficult songs I wish I had written.

Edited to say that he was often produced by Dan Huff ( Giant ) in the early days. Not a bad combo.
  • His gear selection is something to behold. Apparently he got into Dumble amps after getting friendly with John Mayer.
    When I was on holiday last year, I called in Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville. They had one of his Dumbles up for sale with an asking price of $100,000.  :o
    His gear selection is something to behold. Apparently he got into Dumble amps after getting friendly with John Mayer.
    When I was on holiday last year, I called in Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville. They had one of his Dumbles up for sale with an asking price of $100,000.  :o
    Last time I was in I saw that one.  I believe it is still there. When I was last in I think it was even higher priced, it's an absolute bargain now  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Was good once, now chasing the Nashville pop country bus. Absolute shite, some of his music now sounds like bad Rick Ashley songs from the 80s. 
    Country, my arse!
    Was good once, now chasing the Nashville pop country bus. Absolute shite, some of his music now sounds like bad Rick Ashley songs from the 80s. 
    Country, my arse!
    "Chasing" ? my arse  :)
  • artiebear said:
    Was good once, now chasing the Nashville pop country bus. Absolute shite, some of his music now sounds like bad Rick Ashley songs from the 80s. 
    Country, my arse!
    "Chasing" ? my arse  :)
    It’s such a shame, good singer, good guitarist, but his last album had something like 11-12 producers, just to make sure every cliche was added to his awful songs. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_U
     How many people does it take to produce an album, or even write a song? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_U
    I get what you are saying but, pro rata to the financial return  the number rises. Any idea how much it costs to master a high return album ? That alone is a fortune.

Think of it more in terms of a medium budget movie and the huge cast of participants starts to make sense.

In terms of writing a song and the participants involved,  it's my living and though I bloody hate it, the bigger the act , the more individuals  it is, the less my return  :)

I apologise for my previous rudeness but to get where KB is, there is a standard to be maintained as well as the fact that country is a moveable feast
  • There's also footage of him with John Fogerty which is great
  • artiebear said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_U
    I get what you are saying but, pro rata to the financial return  the number rises. Any idea how much it costs to master a high return album ? That alone is a fortune.

Think of it more in terms of a medium budget movie and the huge cast of participants starts to make sense.

In terms of writing a song and the participants involved,  it's my living and though I bloody hate it, the bigger the act , the more individuals  it is, the less my return  :)

I apologise for my previous rudeness but to get where KB is, there is a standard to be maintained as well as the fact that country is a moveable feast
    If you know anything about Country Music, you will find the best songs are usually written by one or two people and produced by one, not a committee. 
    Personally I think The music that is called Country on Country radio often bears no resemblance to what anyone would think is Country Music. And it’s artists like Keith Urban who have truly lost their way by allowing his music to be so taken out of control to be nothing more than bad pop.
    so many great new artists in Country music that write their own music and are produced by people such as Adam Odor or Bruce Robison which is far superior to anything coming out of Nashville.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom