Adding finish to tweed case

Hi guys, I just bought a nice 60s classic series lacquer Strat and got a fairly nice tweed hard case with it. The tweed is unfinished so I figured I should probably protect it.

Is there an economical way I can add a simple finish to this? I don’t have access to a workshop and live in an apartment, so the less messy the better.

cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    You can paint ronseal or similar to it. I painted a tweed amp with antique pine varnish and liked the finish. Just a bit yellowed and aged and protected. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    I quite like the tweed cases and amps as is. You could put ScotchGuard on it to protect it to a certain extent. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Cool will check these out, I also read polyurethane spray works pretty well.
  • munckee said:
    You can paint ronseal or similar to it. I painted a tweed amp with antique pine varnish and liked the finish. Just a bit yellowed and aged and protected. 
    Going to try this tomorrow. Would 250ml be enough or do I need 750ml?
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    edited October 2020
    Gave Ronseal a go, after putting it on the varnish soaked through really quickly so ended up quite splotchy on one side. Other side I tried to go way lighter, so you couldn’t see it, and seemed to be a bit better but there’s still dark brush strokes. Going to let it dry for a bit and then try to even it out.
  • Having checked out some other threads, it looks like you are supposed to just slather it on?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147449/tweed-colour-pale-and-interesting/p1
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    I did a tweed fender pro jr with wilko clear varnish, looked great and gave it slight vimtage tint.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Having checked out some other threads, it looks like you are supposed to just slather it on?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147449/tweed-colour-pale-and-interesting/p1
    I did 2 coats from memory. There was a bit of unevenness at the tweed joins but I thought it looked a bit aged as a result.  
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Anybody got before and after pictures? I've got a tweed Fender Blues Deluxe Re-issue. Not sure I'd want to varnish it though. Scotch Guard seems to keep it fairly clean but then it never leaves the house. Just wondering if varnishing it would effect the tone of the amp.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• i'll take some pics when i'm done. looking far better now i've put another coat on. the antique pine gives it a nice tobacco tinge, instant +50 years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Devil#20 said:

Just wondering if varnishing it would effect the tone of the amp.
    In my opinion it does. A hard lacquer seems to make the amp brighter and more 'vibrant'. I'm sure a lot of people will say I'm mad :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    ICBM said:
    Devil#20 said:

Just wondering if varnishing it would effect the tone of the amp.
    In my opinion it does. A hard lacquer seems to make the amp brighter and more 'vibrant'. I'm sure a lot of people will say I'm mad :).
    Depends on how much of those lacquer fumes you inhaled when you were applying the finish...  ;)