Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NSPGD: What's purple, sparkles, and is the result of you enabling wotnots?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
edited October 2020 in Guitar
Yes, it's a New Sparkly Purple Guitar Day, for the gentleman who is most definitely comfortable with his sexuality.

Can't remember which of you hideous corrupt fiends posted the thread early in lockdown, but it led to my first ever rash pre-order scenario. Only weeks after I'd vowed that it was pre-loved guitars only for me from now on in.

A few months down the line, and a Squier FSR Tele Deluxe in understanded purple sparkle with no Liberace pretensions whatsoever had landed Chez Snags. Only had time for a quick blast, but it seems like enormous fun, and may well have slayed my "I'm not sure I get on with Teles" issues. Pots are a little bit sudden at the top end, and not desperately smooth, so once it's bedded in there might be a few minor mods in the pipeline, but for the timebeing I'm just going to stick with it as-is and see how things go.

As Mrs Snags said when she got back in "Oooh, sparkles".

I know it's not posh, expensive, rare, or in any way anything other than a run of the mill mass produced bit of geetar tart's boudoir, but I think I likes it.

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Congratulations on letting go of your masculinity mate. Hope it’s liberating : )

Nice looking beast, congrats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    That looks scarily like it’s been carved from a block of Ribena. Looks great. HNGD.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited October 2020
    Happy NSPGD! That looks lovely - absolutely cracking colour! 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 352
    Looks fabulous!  That’s the second purple Tele that I’ve seen on tFB just recently, and I find myself wanting one.  Happy NSPGD!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    I like purple sparkle, looks nice with a black pickguard in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    Cool finish! But why do Fender save their best finishes for the Custom Shop or Squier?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    Bigsby said:
    Cool finish! But why do Fender save their best finishes for the Custom Shop or Squier?
    You mean you are dissatisfied with the run of the mill options: 2 tone sunburst, 3 tone sunburst, autumn burst, sunset burst, midnight burst and silver burst... really good sir! ;)

Joking aside, absolutely agree with you, the standard 4/5 finish options are far too repetitive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    I known it's accurate but that scratchplate is too big for such a purpley sparkly guitar. 
  • Nice!  How's the build quality / general fit-and-feel?  I've been deliberating over getting the green sparkle version since they were announced, but been slightly put off by reports of iffy QC for some other recent Squier Classic Vibe models.
  • Love it. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    You'll be needing the purple MagicStomp to match.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I’ve looked at pics but not dared read the post. Please tell me it’s an absolute horror show and that I don’t want one :3
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    Danish Pete signature model? Nice guitar.

Not sure of the spelling of your elaborate acronym though!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9122
    Teles don't rock my casbah at all, but that looks like the illest shit imaginable.  Gotta play a bunch of early 80's Prince numbers on that bad boy.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1443
    That's bloody awesome

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    Should have said in the OP: big thanks to @DougCoda and the team at Coda Music for making this happen. Super helpful throughout, and even thought it's not a high-end guitar, it had obviously been out of the box and checked over before shipping on to me (either that or the courier is a nosy git ;) ).

@rain.parade and @dazzajl it's utter shit, you'd hate it, save your money.

But if you're still reading ... I'm not the best person to ask, as I don't really know what I'm looking at, so I'll try to keep the bluffer's guide stuff to a minimum and be honest. I've also only had chance for a very quick noodle, so haven't completely checked it out for any random high spots etc. on frets. That said, I'd say it's absolutely fine, given the price point. Action out of the box is fine for me, no sharp fret ends (you can feel the fret ends if you run your fingers along the edge of the neck, but not in an uncomfortable way, and they don't seem to intrude when playing), actual finish is great, no chips, dings, cracks, flaking, lifting that I've spotted on a first check-over before taking the plastics off.

Selector switch seems sturdy enough. Spare switch-tip in the box, although it appears to have something jammed up it. Not sure if that's by design or a bit of crap that's found its way in there in transit.

As mentioned in the OP, the pots are a little bit "sudden" in their action at the top end. On all of them the difference between 9 and 10 is very pronounced, but from 9 downards it's a more gradual taper. Physical action of the pots is a bit erratic - stiff to start with, then much more free, which makes fine adjustment on the fly a bit awkward compared to e.g. the speed knobs on my LP Studio; and the knobs are a bit cheapy feeling, but ... it's not an expensive guitar. If I change anything on it then I can see me fitting new pots and knobs at some point. OTOH they might free up with use or a little bit of lubrication. We shall see.

As far as I can tell the neck is fairly standard Classic Vibe style. Certainly feels very similar to a Classic Vibe Strat I've got, and is a relatively shallow-to-average profile (based on my experience), but comfortable. It's lacquered, but that doesn't bother me, although I know some people don't like it. Doesn't feel sticky, and I'm far from a fast player anyway, so it's not going to slow me down any.

Sound-wise all three positions seem very usable. Playing solo the bridge needs taming slightly with either a bit of volume or tone roll-off, but not much. The middle position is very usable. Clean the neck possibly needs a bit of a roll-off too, but with a bit of grit not so much. It's not uber-bright - after all, they're humbuckers not Tele single coils - and volume is quite balanced, but there's definitely a different character between neck, bridge, and both. I suspect that in a band context it would end up being everything on 10, if you were rocking out.

I think I'm going to like it. I'm sure you'd hate it, and would be better saving your money. Of possibly spending it on my Fenix Tele which may end up in classifieds ;)
    Hattigol said:
    Danish Pete signature model? Nice guitar.

Not sure of the spelling of your elaborate acronym though!

New Sparkly Purple Guitar [Bastard]|[Bollocks]

OK, long week, edited :)

Not a Danish Pete as far as I'm aware, just an FSR from Fender, available from all good retailers near you etc.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Will look great with your new stage suit!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I love that. Perfectly glary.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    @mrkb I think I'd better get a few more sit-ups in. And a few less beers.