Anyone tried a MIJ AZ against a Suhr? How did the two compare?

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
Through the power of market research (meaning buying a shitload of guitars & figuring out what it is I really want), I've figured that my dream guitar is something of a modern take on the classic HSS strat design. The AZ range caught my eye immediately when they came out & I've been yearning to try one ever since, but the model & finish I'd like runs north of £2k, and at that point, we're enterting Suhr territory.

Given the situation with COVID right now (as well as personal issues which are out of my control), testing these guitars isn't really an option for me, so I'd absolutely love to hear from people who've tried either or both of these, as early next year, I might genuinely be in the market for my second real guitar of a lifetime.

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    I've got a MIJ AZ - I've tried a couple of Suhrs over the years, but can't really remember what they were like I'm afraid (apart from being very good guitars!). In a comparison with my Vigier - similar price, quality etc to a Suhr - the Vigier is definitely a little bit more upmarket and pretty much perfect in every way...but I much prefer the feel of the AZ which is why I'm selling the Vigier. I think it's the neck on the AZ I love - bit chunkier than a conventional superstrat, but not in actual Strat territory - and is just a bit more comfortable and worn-in feeling than the Vigier. Sorry it's not a direct comparison but hope it's useful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Damn, you must be happy with it if it's keeping a Vigier in its case. I know it's a case of feel before all else, but trying them is hard enough for me without COVID, never mind with it =)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    Tenebrous said:
    Damn, you must be happy with it if it's keeping a Vigier in its case. I know it's a case of feel before all else, but trying them is hard enough for me without COVID, never mind with it =)
    Yeah - to all intents the Vigier is a better guitar. Not massively so, it's just finished off with a tiny bit more finesse. I also love the switching options on the AZ; it's got pretty much all the sounds I really like in one guitar. 
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    I have an AZ too. I've owned a few Suhr's down the years and to be honest, I prefer the AZ to the Suhr's I've owned. The primary reason is down to the neck dimensions, it feels familiar to be, being in a similar ballpark to the Fender Pro Series Strat's I own, it's certainly a long way from the Wizard profiles Ibanez are more associated with these days.The SD Hyperion pickups are very good and the switching options genuinely work and add value, something that not all swiss army knife guitars deliver.
  • XbaxxxXbaxxx Frets: 41
    AZ series are very disappointing, zero soul zero resonance. The neck profile is amazing but that's about it, it's not comparable to any Suhr. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom