Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best trade in

What's Hot
As an antidote to the bedroom dealer thread I thought this could be interesting. 
What’s the best trade you’ve ever made!!! 
Ever swap a squier affinity for a 52 tele???! I doubt it but it’ll be fun to hear some tales. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    74 strat for a Hohner G3T

unfortunately it was my strat :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Best - or worst...

In the mid 90s I bought (new) a Roland GR-09 guitar synthesizer, and not being content with already paying over a grand for it I bought the sound expansion pack as well, and the GK-3 pickup which I routed into the front of my old Aria guitar - internal fitting kits weren't available then. After finding out that it really wasn't very useful, rather than sell it at a big loss I decided to keep it and see if it would be useful in the future. Of course all that happened was that it wasn't useful in the future, and by the time I just wanted rid of the whole thing it was worth next to nothing. (And I'd buggered up my Aria.)

Then something miraculous happened - I managed to swap it for a silver sparkle Danelectro U3 .

The singer in my band needed a better guitar - she'd been borrowing my old Fender Duo-Sonic, which had a very narrow neck - so I lent her the Dano for a while, then when she left to go to New Zealand, in a fit of poetic self-punishment for wasting all that money on the guitar synth, I gave her the guitar... it seemed somehow appropriate and I still don't regret it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Trading some pedals for a cheaper ME unit & the Paul Gilbert Artistworks. Easier to be happer with how you sound with practice rather than gear =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    My best trade will always be the Mexi Strat I bought brand new in Andertons and handed straight over to a stranger in the pub next door for his Duesenberg Caribou. 
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Squire classic vibe butterscotch and £200 for a 68 Vibrolux.  Really wish I hadn’t sold that one.

It sounded epic (Vibrolux), but I had a few epic amps at the time...... 
  • dazzajl said:
    My best trade will always be the Mexi Strat I bought brand new in Andertons and handed straight over to a stranger in the pub next door for his Duesenberg Caribou. 
    Awesome. Don’t tell the bedroom dealers thread - they will shit a brick!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited October 2020
    Worst trade I guess - Traded a Marshall power brake for an EHX Russian phaser once, at the legendary Victor Morris in Glasgow. Lord knows what I was thinking. 

I had sold off my JMP / Orange OR 120
    stacks at the time and was using a MV JCM800 so must have thought I wouldn't need it anymore..idiot.
  • I got a les Paul bfg for £350. It was trashed and took a day to sort it. Swapped it for a g&l asat special (which is in the classifieds now but I dont mind keeping)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    John_A said:
    a Hohner G3T
    Shh! I have a sale agreed locally, to be completed at the end of the month. I don’t want my customer reading your comment until money has changed hands.  :3

What’s the best trade you’ve ever made?
    One of my tat for tat gear exchanges with @HarrySeven.

At the time, H7 was systematically ditching guitars with Floyd Rose type double locking vibratos. I accepted a bunch of Charvel Model series necks and bodies in various states of decrepitude. Thirty years too late, I discovered what tremendous fun these can be.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    I swapped a life of fun , selfish enjoyment and indulgence ,nice cars , sleeping around ,partying and spending all my money on big boy's toys and lavish holidays for a thing called Marriage .
    That was along time ago and I don't know if it counts !
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I got a '79 strat in exchange for some guitar playing.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Swapped a mim strat for a Yamaha lord player. Swapped a bitsa strat for a ibanez ark (both of which I have kept)
  • Obviously I have a lot of these!!!!
    a good one and one that will wind a few folks up I’m sure is the Les Paul Less plus I got for £650 (actually £700 but PayPal paid £50 on an offer) and the bloke gave me a vox amp too for no reason. 
    I sold the amp for £50, enjoyed the guitar but once I got my £140 duesenberg the Les Paul was surplus so I sold it for £1000!!!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Obviously I have a lot of these!!!!
    a good one and one that will wind a few folks up I’m sure is the Les Paul Less plus I got for £650 (actually £700 but PayPal paid £50 on an offer) and the bloke gave me a vox amp too for no reason. 
    I sold the amp for £50, enjoyed the guitar but once I got my £140 duesenberg the Les Paul was surplus so I sold it for £1000!!!
    Which Dooozy? Do love a D
  • dazzajl said:
    Oh man, you are well out of the loop. 
    dazzajl said:
    Oh man, you are well out of the loop. 
    Ahhhh, I don’t really do loops. 

Very nice geeetaah indeed and a nice way to get it too 
  • I’ll add a tale I heard when working in guitar shops many moons ago. 
    Old lady brings guitar case into the store. Shows it to owner of shop and says it was her late husbands. He had it, never played it and she wanted rid of it. 
    Inside was a pristine 50s or 60s strat 
    It had the original purchase receipt showing £60 and she said she had  heard that old guitars held their value well so if she got the £60 back she would be happy!!!
    dude haggles her down to £55 
  • A  Gretsch G5420T. Bought new, a decent guitar but i didn't make much use of it. I part exchanged it in a well known Guitar Shop a couple of years later. The guitar and hard case were both on offer when I bought them, and in the following two years the pound fell significantly against the dollar. The shop offered me virtually the same money as I paid for it originally, and gave me a bit of discount on the item I bought. I was well pleased.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5035
    I’ll add a tale I heard when working in guitar shops many moons ago. 
    Old lady brings guitar case into the store. Shows it to owner of shop and says it was her late husbands. He had it, never played it and she wanted rid of it. 
    Inside was a pristine 50s or 60s strat 
    It had the original purchase receipt showing £60 and she said she had  heard that old guitars held their value well so if she got the £60 back she would be happy!!!
    dude haggles her down to £55 

I can't say that dude would be on my Christmas Card list.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I didnt get this deal but my brother did .I sold him my essentially brand LTD SC-600 (Stef Carpenter) signature to my brother with a  case and upgraded EMGs for £500 after advertising it for months. About a year goes by and I get a random message on a forum asking if I still had it and would I bet up for a trade. Ask my brother what he thought and he said "Sure, lets go see whats what."

So my brother traded a £500 guitar for a blue sparkle Ibanez Jem. 

Bastard.