Strat string spacing & nut width help

Hi ..Does anyone know if a 42mm nut can be put on a neck that usually takes a 42.8mm nut? 

Reason: I put a vintage trem system on my strat I’m building as I prefer the wider string spacing but the 42.8mm nut (AM standard neck) makes the low and high E strings too close to the edge of the fretboard so I need to put a 42mm nut on my neck ...is this possible or is it new neck time!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited October 2020
    Presumably, you refer to a commercial, pre-slotted nut? For obvious reasons, these tend to come in popular sizes. For anything of non-standard width, slot spacing or slot-to-tuner angling, it is wiser to begin with a blank.

EDIT: Alternatively, contact @FelineGuitars to enquire about roller and Earvana replacement nuts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • If the new nut has enough surplus (it spans the neck width) it should be ok. Of course you can also buy a nut blank and slot it any way you like.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • Yes, it’s fine. I’ve put a 43mm nut on a 50mm wide neck I had custom made, I can barley feel the width either side . It feels like I’m playing a standard 43mm.