Guitar cable question

What's Hot
francerfrancer Frets: 369
Hi, can someone advise me please. I just bought some Van Damme pro grade classic XKE instrument cable to make up a couple of guitar leads.

I got the plugs attached and both cables massively attenuate the signal compared to my regular guitar cables, so much so at first I thought they weren’t working, but if I turn up the amp I get a clean signal. I’m using Neutrik plugs 90deg and a straight, both of which I’ve used before on other cables. I can’t see what I’ve done wrong, I have a meter, there are no short circuits and full continuity in both cables. Is this something to do with the type of cable, have I bought the wrong stuff?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you strip back the black insulation over the inner core, leaving the white exposed?  The black stuff is a conductive layer to the screen so you may have a partial short circuit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    What ZenOvertone said - there is a partial short at one or both ends from the solder joint to the black semi-conducting layer on the outside of the core insulator - the resistance isn't low enough to measure as a full short but it's low enough to totally suck the tone. If you just cut this back carefully with a scalpel it will fix it, without having to resolder the joint.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    Yay! Thanks so much both, that was exactly the problem, all sorted now. 

Thanks again :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I think everyone who’s ever used this type of cable has discovered this in the first few times they’ve made one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Indeed we have @ICBM ;
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Yes I had the same problem first time I used itw
    Don't touch that dial.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    The question now is; do you notice any improvement or change in tone over previous cables, assuming they were lower quality?