Tell me about your Jaguar

What's Hot
CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
I have a newer Player Jag that I got as a "let's see what this is all about" guitar early into the quarantine.  I'm quite taken with it and want to trade up for a better build.  

Tell me about the specs on your Jag, what you like about it, what you'd change about it, what you like to play on it.  Or even what you wished you had instead of the Jag.

I'll get out and try one eventually, but it's probably going to be a while and I'm especially curious about the ones with coil-splitting humbuckers or how a 7.5" radius feels on that 24" scale.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    I have two, both slightly modified. A Fender AVRI ‘62 and a Squier VM HH. 

In the past, I owned a Fender CIJ model. I never liked its neck profile and pickups. So much so that I prefer the necks on both the expensive and cheaper guitars over the CIJ.

Quantifying what I like about my guitars is difficult and, arguably, irrelevant to your upgrade decision. For instance, one of my guitars has single coil pickups whilst the other has humbuckers. I like each option as is. I would not want coil splitting on humbuckers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • If you like the scale but want other specs not available off the shelf, you can go to 25.5 inch scales, tune down half step with heavy strings and put a capo on 1st fret.

Bit discombobulating with the fret position markers though! 

Can't help other than to say short scale guitars are great, happy hunting. 
  • I will gladly oblige! Any reason to harp on about my Jaguar. 

Mine is an American Vintage '65 in sonic blue. A 30th birthday present to myself!

Vintage specs all round - small frets, 7.25' radius, bound fretboard and standard pickup and switching configuration. I think the small radius is less noticeable on the short scale (I use 11s), but then it's a guitar that pushes you toward a certain way of playing - more like Johnny Marr than Joe Satriani. 

In terms of playability it's fantastic, better than the couple of CIJ jaguars I've owned previously but some of the hardware weak points on pretty much any Jag still persist - I added StayTrem arm and bridge and a set of truly outstanding pickups from Oil City pickups - the original set we're ok but a bit bright and sharp. 

If I had to replace it, I'd be considering a Johnny Marr signature (in lake placid blue, obv) as it addresses some of those hardware changes out of the box. Any AV65 and AO Jag I imagine will be similarly high quality, if you've got the cash!

If you're into humbuckers, I'd say the MIM classic player would be a great first stop - my Jazzmaster is made largely of parts from an MIM Classic Player - neck in particular is great - and it has a lot going for it.

Won't sound like a Jag though - important to make a distinction between the cool chrome-filled grungy image (age dependent) or the vintage Jag sound, which is bright, cutting and needs to be embraced to be enjoyed!
  • This is my current one.

https://i.imgur.com/HupUk8k.jpg

Not only the best jag I have ever played but one of the best guitars I have ever played. Swapped the bridge for a mastery and the pickups for mojos.
    Such a great guitar for recording,  it just always sits in the mix so well.

This is another I had. It got sold for the one above.
    Again had a bridge swap (staytrem) and mojo pickups.

https://i.imgur.com/Zz7lGl7.jpg

I've had many more. I just don't have pictures on imgur of them.

The worst of the bunch was an avri 62.
    Heavy and lifeless. Looked pretty though.

The mim classic players were surprisingly good, even the humbucker one with splitable coils. That was my main gigging guitar for ages. Had to swap the bridge on that too.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The best ‘proper’ jag I’ve had is the MIM 60s lacquer model. Better than vintage ones I’ve owned and light years ahead of my Johnny Marr one. The Marr is a jag for people who want a jag that sounds like a tele with rubbish pickups. 

Seriously, find a 60s Lacquer. 
  • Go on then. My Jaguar is, and will forever be, my number one. I’m a purist on Jaguar spec though; I love the switching system - it’s really simple and intuitive, and Johnny’s revisions are unnecessary and unsightly in my opinion. 

Mine is an early 1962, and as such the neck is a meaty bit of wood with a slab board. The black bobbin pickups are warmer and darker than the assumed ice picks of some reissues. It records beautifully and plays beautifully. Set up is key on a Jaguar and the internet is full of guides as to how best to do that - only concession to modernity I personally make is a Staytrem bridge. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would like a dabble on Jack’s Bleen one though. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    My 64 Jaguar.... can sound warm or biting at the flick of a switch. Great neck & always inspires... had a fret job a few years ago and plays great.

http://imgur.com/a/1SskEMt
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    The best ‘proper’ jag I’ve had is the MIM 60s lacquer model. Better than vintage ones I’ve owned and light years ahead of my Johnny Marr one. The Marr is a jag for people who want a jag that sounds like a tele with rubbish pickups. 

Seriously, find a 60s Lacquer. 
    I have both now (I should sell the 60s really) and the 60s puts up a good show compared to the much more expensive (twice the price) JM. There are obvious differences in electronics and some areas where the Marr is more refined (smoother trem & tuners, the carve where the neck meets the headstock). Much was made of the JM’s neck copied off of one of Johnny’s favourites but they feel identical to me, bar the rolled edges on the Marr.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    edited October 2020
    I have an American Vintage 65 Jag I bought in January 2018, one of the last AVs in stock. It's sunburst. In fact, this one:

I bought it at the same time as a Jazzmaster 65 American VIntage and it's interesting to play one after the other, going from small scale neck to what seems like a huge neck on the JM.

If you search my posts here you'll find the only things that bother me about the Jag (and the JM) are the bridge and the outer screws on the tremolo plate rubbing the strings. So the Jag (and JM) was fitted with a Staytrem bridge - essential in my view as life is too short.

Because I've set the action quite low, the 7.25" fretboard radius means that string bends on the high E fret out above a semitone. But then I don't do much of that.

Tend to use the neck pickup only with the strangle switch on to cut some mids. I regard this one as a Marc Ribot wannabe guitar (well, one can dream).

BTW - in some of my other posts I refer to these guitars as 65 AVRIs, but they are really "American Vintage"/ What's the difference between AVRI and AV?

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited October 2020
    The AV series replaced the AVRI series. Different finish (thinner but more fragile), different pickups. 

Anyway, I too have an AV65 in Sonic Blue. Hardware has been changed to Staytrem where possible and I have a set of Mojo Jaguar pickups that will get installed someday too. The stock pickups are not terrible at all though on those ones - Mojos are just that little tiny bit better IMO. 
  • Philtre said:
    I have an American Vintage 65 Jag I bought in January 2018, one of the last AVs in stock. It's sunburst. In fact, this one:

I bought it at the same time as a Jazzmaster 65 American VIntage and it's interesting to play one after the other, going from small scale neck to what seems like a huge neck on the JM.

If you search my posts here you'll find the only things that bother me about the Jag (and the JM) are the bridge and the outer screws on the tremolo plate rubbing the strings. So the Jag (and JM) was fitted with a Staytrem bridge - essential in my view as life is too short.

Because I've set the action quite low, the 7.25" fretboard radius means that string bends on the high E fret out above a semitone. But then I don't do much of that.

I regard this one as a Marc Ribot wannabe guitar (well, one can dream).

BTW - in some of my other posts I refer to these guitars as 65 AVRIs, but they are really "American Vintage"/ What's the difference between AVRI and AV?
    AVRIs were the run prior to the AVs. They’re 62 specs, and the finish isn’t quite as nice / specs aren’t quite as anal. The AVs are the 2011 onwards, that were superseded by the AO range. They’re my favourite of the reissues... I only wish they were the 62 spec ones as I personally prefer unbound necks. 
    edited October 2020
    AVRIs were the run prior to the AVs. They’re 62 specs, and the finish isn’t quite as nice / specs aren’t quite as anal. The AVs are the 2011 onwards, that were superseded by the AO range. They’re my favourite of the reissues... I only wish they were the 62 spec ones as I personally prefer unbound necks. 

Cheers. I need to edit all my TFB posts now and replace "AVRI" with "AV"!

BTW - I also edited the link to the Jag, the original link was to a JM.
  • Mines cij sunburst and tort. It had a Mustang bridge and some different pickups when I bought it. I love the sound but I'm not mad about the scale, my wife gets on with the little neck so she has adopted it.
  • A friend of mine had a 60s Jaguar, and I always admired its natural reverberation - kind of sounded out of tune whilst being in tune.

Years later, and I bought a Player, however found the pickups and coil split a little lacking (the bridge tap was very thin and low in output).

So I moved to a Classic Player, and then a Classic Player HH. I really like the neck, very comfortable with the 9.5 and MJ frets, and find being able to dial in the quantity of humbucker vs single coil a genius stroke - certainly for me.

I play more rhythm than lead and am particularly attracted to the Jag’s vibrations - my chords feel and sound gritty.

The Classic Player HH is certainly a step up from the Player, and is quite a dream guitar for me (mine has a slight issue at the minute - but that can be fixed). Though I would love to get a higher end version with some of the same or similar specifications (not sure that exists...).
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    This is good stuff, thanks everyone.  My Player has a Staytrem on it already, I'll put the original bridge back on prior to trade-in.

I'm very partial to single-coils, so if I can line that up with a fretboard that suits me that's more my priority.  Vintage tones are my preference, but I also like modern punk and grunge.  Pickups are fairly easy mods.  Seems like a win-win as long as I don't let a few hundred $$ stop me one way or the other.
  • Cranky said:
    This is good stuff, thanks everyone.  My Player has a Staytrem on it already, I'll put the original bridge back on prior to trade-in.

I'm very partial to single-coils, so if I can line that up with a fretboard that suits me that's more my priority.  Vintage tones are my preference, but I also like modern punk and grunge.  Pickups are fairly easy mods.  Seems like a win-win as long as I don't let a few hundred $$ stop me one way or the other.
    Don’t instantly assume you need a Staytrem. A well set up Jag doesn’t need one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cranky said:

There is a reason why there are a number of aftermarket replacement bridges for jags and jms.
    Yes you can fuck about for hours shimming necks, adjusting the height of the bridge, filing grooves and using loctite/clear nail varnish on every single grub screw and hole etc

Or you can put a staytrem or mastery on the guitar and be sorted in 10 minutes with bomb proof seated strings.

I know my preference 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Cranky said:

There is a reason why there are a number of aftermarket replacement bridges for jags and jms.
    Yes you can fuck about for hours shimming necks, adjusting the height of the bridge, filing grooves and using loctite/clear nail varnish on every single grub screw and hole etc

Or you can put a staytrem or mastery on the guitar and be sorted in 10 minutes with bomb proof seated strings.

I know my preference 
    Yep. I learnt that lesson the hard way on a Jag and a Jazzmaster.

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1763
    I have two
    Does that mean we should start calling you John Prescott?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom