What's this guitar?

What's Hot
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what model/ make this guitar might have started out as? I am presuming that the neck and body are from the same model, but I could be wrong. 

I expect that the next trem is an after-market upgrade :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Looks like an old JHS/Encore.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 273
    edited October 2020
    Thanks chaps. I'd love to replicate that one, minus the elastic neck As with all things like this, I suspect there's far more to it than meets the eye...

Maybe I will see if the Painted Guitar Player does a version

Closest I can get from the horse's mouth is that it was $30 from a thrift store in Scotland in 1989: https://therumpus.net/2016/08/wantedneededloved-11-jad-fair/

• Looks like an old JHS/Encore.

My mate had something similar to this in the 90s, it matches apart from the controls.

• Satellite made something very similar to that, a mate of mine had one years ago. The body was ridiculously thin - it made an SG look massive!
  • Looks like an old JHS/Encore.

My mate had something similar to this in the 90s, it matches apart from the controls.

Satellite made something very similar to that, a mate of mine had one years ago. The body was ridiculously thin - it made an SG look massive!
    I had a black one of those years ago. Really thin and shrill-sounding humbucker, and as @guitargeek62 says, very thin lightweight body: it was neck heavy, even playing sitting down. I couldn’t get it to stay in tune for longer than about 4 minutes at a time, either.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 273
    edited October 2020
    I think I may have found one... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare-Encore-EG-50-MK-Custom-Series-Electric-Guitar-1989/143797143994

It's rare

I think Fair's neck mod makes any tuning shortcomings, or neck heaviness, irrelevant...

Seems to have held its value well - https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/jhs-encore-eg50/7168

• Hah, selling it at the original price, not sure they'll get £79 but at least it's not stupidly priced like some old cheapo guitars. Saying that, you could get a used Ibanez GX30 for less, looks similar and undoubtedly better quality.

I tried buying my mates Encore but he wouldn't sell it, I wanted the neck for a flying-v project, ended up using an Encore JHS-A7 with the cool sharkfin inlays instead (and shitty MFG floyd bridge).

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    Looks like an old Satellite from 70s or 80s to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Adey said:
    Looks like an old Satellite from 70s or 80s to me.
    Bingo! This is it
    https://www.theguitarcollection.org.uk/guitar/satellite-9b/

There is one on eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-electric-Guitar-1970-80s-/143800984517
  • That's brilliant! Shame every candidate I've seen so far is collect in person, which is the opposite of what you'd expect at the moment.
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 373
    edited October 2020
    Looks to me like a old satalite 9b, one of the junkiest junk guitars I've ever played.

Edit... Oops looks like the mystery has already been solved.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    one of the junkiest junk guitars I've ever played.
    every candidate I've seen so far is collect in person
    The cost of fully insured shipping probably exceeds the likely selling price. For that matter, the price of fresh strings is probably a substantial proportion of the selling price. More importantly, budget guitars like these need to be viewed in person to check whether they will be playable.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • More importantly, budget guitars like these need to be viewed in person to check whether they will be playable.
    That is true. although "playability" means something different in this case if you take a look at the video...
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    Just watched the video. That is a strange stringing arrangement - a low E sttring on the 1st and 6th Strings. Not seen that before.
  • The science of it has been worked out quite precisely -