Squier Bullets any good?

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
edited October 2020 in Guitar
A friend of mine is looking to buy his lad a first electric....  and asked me to put the feelers out to see what’s about. 

I thought this was quite eye catching..... anyone tried one?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/stratocaster/squier-fsr-bullet-stratocaster-ht-hss-black-metallic

For background, the lad in question is about 13/14 and has only learned on a school acoustic before deciding he wants to branch out.... budget is 150-200
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 961
    Tried the Mustang and the Tele - incredible value for money, especially the Mustang. Great build quality, decent pickups, nice necks. You can't go wrong for the money, and once his son wants to get his first 'proper' guitar, there's the option to just upgrade the pickups and anything else he fancies and he'll still have a great guitar. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hated each and every Squier "Bullet" I´ve ever had the misfortune to play!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    I had the Telecaster version of that as @joetele says great value fo money.  Mine needed some work on the nut but that was only because I wanted to use heavier strings. The only reason I moved it on was because I found a good deal on a Baja Telecaster but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    A good bullet will leave you wondering how it’s possible for the money.  Had a red sparkle Tele that was perfect. If course it was bare bones and built to the price but the neck felt good, it was very stable, the action was low, no dead notes, buzzes or rattles, no sharp fret ends, sounded like a tele should and even the pots had a good sweep. All for £95 new. Incredible 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I don't like the top loading bridges, but still a much better idea than a trem on a guitar at this price point   

They are great guitars for the money, and easily serviceable.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    The Telecaster I had was an excellent guitar. Only flaw was the bridge height screws rattled, easily cured with a dab of nail polish or similar.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I bought my son a Bullet Mustang.

They have a huge following online. Checkout the guitar geek, he did a whole series on them
  • i bought a Mustang Bullet last month, just for home recording...fantastic value.
    £105 delivered to the door.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    edited October 2020
    Bullet mustang and telecaster owner. I've got some fairly pricey guitars and they still get lots of playing time. Incredible value.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited October 2020
    Fantastic value and the Mustang is a giveaway .I have another coming Christmas in orange  to put some p90's in  .I would have loved any of the Squiers when I was kid way back when ( before the Beatles).I refuse to hear they are crap and when I do I know just how good the writer is (not).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited October 2020
    My Squier Bullet strat came with a better setup than my USA Fender costing 15x~ the price did. They're great guitars for the money, but if you're willing to go to £200, I'd be looking at used Pacifica's as well. Maybe a 311 would be doable for that? I'm not sure.

Dave's video is worth a watch:

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I bought a barebones Bullet Strat at a shop's closing down sale; the workmanship was really quite bad and the body was thinner that a proper Strat (some of the Affinitys are thinner too).

I'd be more inclined to get something s/h, where the same money will get something better.
  • I've got a bullet mustang.

Arrived with scratchy frets and the nut wasn't cut quite right. But once those were sorted its absolutely stonking. The body and paintwork look and "feel" expensive. 
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited October 2020
    I bought a black bullet mustang back in April absolutely love it.
    A really good fun guitar to play.
    I would say check out a Harley Benton Candy Apple red TE-20 on the Thomann site.
    Its a £79 giant killer of a Telecaster style guitar.
    https://youtu.be/MDvfN-VOsAw
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    Tenebrous said:
    My Squier Bullet strat came with a better setup than my USA Fender costing 15x~ the price did. They're great guitars for the money, but if you're willing to go to £200, I'd be looking at used Pacifica's as well. Maybe a 311 would be doable for that? I'm not sure.

Dave's video is worth a watch:

I’m a big fan of Dave Simpson and his videos.
    He’s moving to the south of France next month.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    Cheers all.  Might have a go at a Mustang for £120.... I’ve got a luthier mate who will sort any problems for a drink or two.  

=) 
  • What about actual Fender Bullets?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    What about actual Fender Bullets?
    Worth a shot
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom