Nut width/neck profile combinations

I've been doing a fair bit of 'research' into the correlation between nut width and neck profile and how these interact to produce a comfortable neck. I've come to the conclusion that I generally prefer a 1 5/8" nut width and have found that the neck profile matters less with this nut width as I can pretty much get my hand around any profile with relative comfort (except D shaped profiles - not my favourite). I'm considering putting a strat together and going for a 1 5/8" nut with a soft V profile (0.87 - 0.96") or possibly a large C profile (0.90 - 0.98"). What are your favourite nut width/neck profile combinations??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    On a Strat/Tele, then yes 1 5/8" nut width - For some reason, I know lean towards a fatter neck - Classic 60's is around .790" to .930" - But now I prefer a large 65C and don't even mind the chunky 52 Nocaster profile - With 6150 MJ frets

Yet a PRS Wide/Fat always feels comfortable and slick to me
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I prefer narrower necks - measurements don’t always tell the whole story though, the exact profile is important too. I like 41-42mm (1-5/8” - 1-21/32”) best. Anything wider than 43mm (1-11/16”) is too wide, but if they’re too shallow or too deep that’s no good either. I like most Rickenbacker and modern Fender necks a lot.

I do like the PRS ‘wide-fat’ - which is neither wide nor fat, and I don’t like wide or fat necks! - but I prefer the ‘regular’ which is a 32nd narrower. Both of them have a subtle soft v shape usually, which makes them feel slightly smaller - but I don’t like ‘hard’ v shapes at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Even though I've got smaller hands than Trump I prefer big baseball bat necks.
    I can't do that thumb-over chord thing whatever neck I use.
    I also think massive necked guitars sound best.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited October 2020
    I prefer the narrower nut. I just can’t deal with the (2mm) wider nut. As far as profiles go, I’m fairly easy..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.