Something screwy going on here - Possible fake AVRI stratocaster?

What's Hot
Hoping the hive mind might be of some help here - I bought this '2011 AVRI '57 Fender Special Run Strat' online, and received it today, but a couple of things seem not quite right. It looks exactly like a number of other examples of the same model I've found online, and it came in the correct G&L tweed case. 

I checked the SN with fender, and they said it's registered to a FSR '62 AVRI, but that that's not hugely unusual for that kind of mixup to occur. What is unusual is that the Owner's Manual and Guarantee Policy, which came in a sealed bag with the expected accessories kit (5-way switch, bridge cover, cable etc.), are in Spanish, and refer to Fender's Mexican office.

Pics of the guitar, neckplate, and documentation.

https://imgur.com/a/zwmZVcW

Does this strike anyone else as screwy? My paranoid side is convinced I've vastly overpaid for a Classic 50s passed off as an AVRI...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Remove the pickguard and check if there is a round tooling mark (almost like a mini cavity) towards the lower horn. Usually a dead giveaway of mex bodies
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Looking at the pics I can see and that reflection in the top horn of a silver fern, then I'm guessing a new version from New Zealand

Seriously, would need to see more pics to pass comment - headstock, inside the pick up cavity, under the scratch plate at the electrics for starters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    I wouldn't worry about the paperwork - it looks more like what would be given with a guitar sold in Mexico rather than referring to the guitar itself being mexican. 

MIM Classics usually had the serial and "Made in Mexico" on the back of the headstock so if this doesn't that bodes well. 

I did a quick reverb search and this looks exactly like yours (save for the lockign tuners) based on the pics you've given: 

https://reverb.com/item/36521628-fender-stratocaster-57-avri-limited-edition-american-vintage-reissue-2011-candy-apple-red-car
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Remove the pickguard and check if there is a round tooling mark (almost like a mini cavity) towards the lower horn. Usually a dead giveaway of mex bodies
    I’ve owned several Mexican Fenders that did *not* have these shallow circular routs.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Remove the pickguard and check if there is a round tooling mark (almost like a mini cavity) towards the lower horn. Usually a dead giveaway of mex bodies
    I’ve owned several Mexican Fenders that did *not* have these shallow circular routs.
    Perhaps you were conned, and they were actually AVRI’s being mis-sold as Mexis.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a fine looking Strat. I wouldn't judge its authenticity from the bagged paperwork but if you are still in doubt then, as already suggested, have a look under the pickguard.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    It would be a bit sloppy to fake an AVRI and put in Mex paperwork.  If anything it should be the other way round.
  • Thanks all for the tips and encouragement - after I posted I found pics of another example of the same model with its paperwork, and it also had the Spanish language manual, so maybe they just chucked it in as a matter of course with these things?

Pickguard removed, and the body cavity sticker reading 'Body 57 Strt' has me feeling more confident. I'm wary of removing the neck, so that check'll have to wait until I get to a shop for setup, but I feel like I'm on firmer ground now at least!

https://imgur.com/a/Odve6NY
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Conversely, my all-American 2011 Old Growth Redwood Tele-bration guitar body DOES have a “crop circle”. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    Conversely, my all-American 2011 Old Growth Redwood Tele-bration guitar body DOES have a “crop circle”. 
    I thought it was one crop circle for USA and 3 for Mexican? Not sure where I've picked that up from though...
    Tim
  • Remove the pickguard and check if there is a round tooling mark (almost like a mini cavity) towards the lower horn. Usually a dead giveaway of mex bodies

Good to know, I thought that was very much an Ensenada thing.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!