Cheap 7 strings. Ibanez RG7421?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
I kind of thinking about a cheap 7 string, partly to scratch an itch I've had since Vai first started playing them and secondly for a recording project.

I don't want longer than 25.5 scale (I actually prefer 24.75 but there's not many about), and I do want a hard tail as I change between regular and drop tuning a lot.

Anyone got a RG7421? 
Any good? They use a wood I've never heard of - Meranti. Is that light or heavy?
Are they good enough for a pickup upgrade?

All advice welcome!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    The 7421 was regarded as a great hardtail 7 string. One of the best among the affordable 7 strings. The RG7321 is also pretty good and a bit cheaper. As for pickups, keep an eye out on eBay for second hand 7 string pickups and you're good.

A friend of mine has the 7321 with I think either a Crunch Lab 7 or a D Sonic 7 in the bridge position and it sounded fantastic into my Mark IV.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    "was" - it is still in production. 
    Or has it changed?

• BowksBowks Frets: 446
    It must have changed. 

I had a Japanese made RG7421, which was basswood with a maple & bubinga neck and it was great. Paul Creedy routed it for replacement diMarzio pickups as the original routs were quite shallow.

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG7421_(2000%E2%80%932002) 

Looks like they have reused the name but for a lower specced model.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I think the 7321 was 2001 to 2012 so prob been follwed up by the 7421 now. 

However other options:
    • the Prestige 1527 can be bought used for not a lot of cash but obviously thats got a trem. Tremmed versions are also 7620 (and the fixed bridge 7621 but rare) 
    • the Ironlabel range is next ones up and again, can be bought pretty cheap but usually EMG loaded. RGIR27 I think is the model number.
    • Curveball suggestion of an Apex 2 would be another 7 string which may be in budget if you can find them.  
    • RGA7s are just a carved top option of the RG
    • The AX range had some 7s but abit of a rarity 
    • The S line range has some 7s but not anywhere near as many as the RG or Iron Label. 
  • I’ve got an RGRT421 which judging from what @Bowks says above might well be lower spec than the guitar you’re looking at - it’s an absolutely cracking guitar though, I’m very happy with it, and I’ve got some new pickups on the way for it from Oil City, so I’d say the 7421 would definitely be worth a punt. As far as putting new pickups in, I’m yet to find a guitar where I wouldn’t consider that
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Jetfire said:
    I think the 7321 was 2001 to 2012 so prob been follwed up by the 7421 now. 

However other options:
    • the Prestige 1527 can be bought used for not a lot of cash but obviously thats got a trem. Tremmed versions are also 7620 (and the fixed bridge 7621 but rare) 
    • the Ironlabel range is next ones up and again, can be bought pretty cheap but usually EMG loaded. RGIR27 I think is the model number.
    • Curveball suggestion of an Apex 2 would be another 7 string which may be in budget if you can find them.  
    • RGA7s are just a carved top option of the RG
    • The AX range had some 7s but abit of a rarity 
    • The S line range has some 7s but not anywhere near as many as the RG or Iron Label. 
    Great info. Thank you.

I've added a load of things to ebay searches.
    I wasn't aware of the EMG loaded ones - I like EMGs a lot so that's very useful.

I'll keep an eye on the 1527 as well. I could always block the trem.

Bowks said:
    It must have changed. 

I had a Japanese made RG7421, which was basswood with a maple & bubinga neck and it was great. Paul Creedy routed it for replacement diMarzio pickups as the original routs were quite shallow.

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG7421_(2000%E2%80%932002) 

Looks like they have reused the name but for a lower specced model.
    Does seem very different!

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Sorry I didn't realise there's two different 7421 versions. I was talking of the early version
  • richhrichh Frets: 460
    I've never played a 7421, but I have an Ibanez AX 7221 with some upgrades, and it is IMO good at least in terms of value for money.  I'm not sure how closely related this may be to what you're looking at, but it was good value for money, but to put it in perspective, I then got a USA MusicMan JPXI guitar, which has made the Ibby redundant.  But in terms of relative cost, that shouldn't come as a surprise!

I got it used, and it had been upgraded with Seymour Duncan pickups, which are great - but then I never played the guitar with the original pickups, so I can't say how much of a difference these made.

It was neck heavy, but I relocated the strap button, and that was an easy and effective fix.

The tuners were crap IMO, but I changed for a set of new locking tuners and sorted the nut, so that made it into a useable instrument.  The truss rod worked fine, so all good.

As I say, I don't know the Ibanez RG 7421 so can't comment specifically on that, but I don't think Ibanez make guitars that are not decent, even if you choose to upgrade some of the hardware.  The fact that I barely play it, now that I have a USA JP MusicMan guitar is no slight on Ibanez, but if you're after something that doesn't cost too much, no harm trying an Ibanez?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    They also did the RGD which is a proper metul looking guitar but could be a cheap option. 
  • I think epiphone did some 7 string les pauls... That would fit your hardtail need, but perhaps not shreddy enough?

Although matt heafy shreds the shit out of an lp... 
    I think epiphone did some 7 string les pauls... That would fit your hardtail need, but perhaps not shreddy enough?

Although matt heafy shreds the shit out of an lp... 
    They are amazingly heavy!

Too heavy for me, alas. Otherwise it would be perfect.