Hair band at the nut end of board!!?

What's Hot
NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357
I only play bass for recording purposes and not very often.
I was wondering why you see some players with what looks like a hairband
around the nut area, whats the purpose anyone?.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Behind the nut im guessing it can stop sympathetic vibrations etc, around the nut or forward of it 
      It can stop the open strings resonating by muting them, usually when using extreme high gain and playing legato/tapping . There also used to be plastic dampers used by Jennifer batten and Dave (kilminster I think) they would flip up when not in use, Michael Angelo batio uses a similar type . 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I believe you might be referring to “Gruv Gear Fretwraps” and as above they mutemopen strings and prevent unwanted noise . 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3217
    edited October 2020
    The cheap version is a 'scrunchie' from Boots or wherever.

As said, kills sympathetic vibrations between nut and tuners. Can also be pulled forwards to mute the strings when you're doing tricky stuff at the dusty end. Live, that would be almost as uncool as using a clip-on headstock tuner but it can be very handy when recording
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Saw the title and genuinely thought this was going to be an 80s rock question........ :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 581
    I've seen some guitarists do this too. Just yesterday I was on the JustinGuitar website and on the video I clicked he was holding a Suhr strat with the hairband thing at the nut.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    newi123 said:
    Saw the title and genuinely thought this was going to be an 80s rock question........ :-)
    Same here... I was going to say that hair bands generally play at the other end of the board :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I only play bass for recording purposes and not very often.
    I was wondering why you see some players with what looks like a hairband
    around the nut area, whats the purpose anyone?.
    I have them on my basses because I tend to play fairly heavily with a pick, and there was excess resonance behind the nut that I wanted rid of.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    In answer to the `what`s it for question` I know some guitar players use them for tapped styles to damp open strings - Greg Howe and Jennifer Batten spring to mind............ same for bass players?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7750

I used to have one on a bass which I had tuned BEAD so if I hit an open string by mistake while playing up the neck it didn't make a huge racket and make me jump.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Thanks all........