If I needed a Brian May guitar I'd want this one

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397

NotW is my fave Queen album, I loved the album cover the moment I saw it. Guitar looks awesome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I’ve never wanted a BM Special before but that is really cool and I’d have one in a heartbeat. I daren’t look, is it a real thing? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    NOTW is my favourite Queen album too (and I also think, their best), but the artwork doesn't look quite right on the guitar for me.

If I ever needed a BM guitar I'd have one the same colour as the John Birch 'spare' he used in the We Will Rock You and Spread Your Wings videos - even though I know the original wasn't a good guitar... those are the first time I ever saw what Queen looked like, and I've associated that colour with Brian ever since.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Ok, I looked. 

I’ll appreciate from a distance. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    dazzajl said:
    I’ve never wanted a BM Special before but that is really cool and I’d have one in a heartbeat. I daren’t look, is it a real thing? 

I looked and it is a real thing. but you may not hanker after so much when you see the price
    It does surprise me that there are not more guitars painted with art work rather than  the solid colours we normally get. I understand it does not lend itself to mass production but I used to see in bike mags leathers and bike parts wonderfully painted with airbrushes but no one does it to their guitars
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    My favourite Queen album by a country mile. I guess that moment when they'd cut back on some of the proggy excess and hadn't yet turned into a plodding soft rock band. Jazz is the tail end of that as well, from The Game onwards I could care less. Actually Jazz might be an interesting look on a guitar.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    phil_b said:
    It does surprise me that there are not more guitars painted with art work rather than  the solid colours we normally get. I understand it does not lend itself to mass production but I used to see in bike mags leathers and bike parts wonderfully painted with airbrushes but no one does it to their guitars
    They did in the 80s! Jackson especially.

Just Google image search 'Jackson graphic guitar'...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited October 2020
    Great album. But not keen on the guitar. I can see the attraction for a queen enthusiast and a collector, but to stand up and play at a gig? Not for me I'm afraid...and I suspect if you ever got tired of it and wanted to move it on, you'd have a problem and likely take a big loss.  For me a red special copy should be, well, red!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    ICBM said:
    phil_b said:
    They did in the 80s! Jackson especially.

Just Google image search 'Jackson graphic guitar'...
    People like Jim fogarty and Mike learn provide more recent examples.

Not sure if Jim is still doing it but Mike has just done something for @StormshadowGuitars which you can see in the made in the UK section
    Voxman said:
    Great album. But not keen on the guitar. I can see the attraction for a queen enthusiast and a collector, but to stand up and play at a gig? Not for me I'm afraid...and I suspect if you ever got tired of it and wanted to move it on, you'd have a problem and likely take a big loss.  For me a red special copy should be, well, red!  
    As some new to guitar this phenomenon also confuses me. I have never bough anything in my life where I considered how I would sell it before I have even bought it 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108

I was never a big Queen fan but my sister had that album - which seems strange now as she's not really into music at all - and I always liked the cover art.  I never understood what it represented and I'm not going to look it up, happy for it to remain a mystery.

Not sure if I like the guitar or not - the clear scratchplate and all the screw heads spoil the look, I think.

I always quite liked the green versions of the BM guitar.

Philly_Q said:

I was never a big Queen fan but my sister had that album - which seems strange now as she's not really into music at all - and I always liked the cover art.  I never understood what it represented and I'm not going to look it up, happy for it to remain a mystery.

I hope this doesn't spoil it for you, I think it's interesting...

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/queen/story-behind-queen-news-of-the-world-album-cover/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Yeah great but how does it sound?
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    Nah, you’d just want this...

https://i.imgur.com/KkwRDGx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/e26lhAa.jpg

One-off BM build by Ralph Bown. 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I actually do almost want that!

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    Lots of People and companies have made excellent copies of Brian’s famous home Dad and Son build guitar over the last 45 or more years .
    They never sound as good though.

Mudcrutch said:
    Lots of People and companies have made excellent copies of Brian’s famous home Dad and Son build guitar over the last 45 or more years .
    They never sound as good though.

They do if Brian plays them ;)

• VintageVintage Frets: 97
    edited October 2020
    Carpinteri Guitars