Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strat on a very low budget

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
edited November 2020 in Guitar
Can you school me on what would be a passable strat for under 400?

I used to have a CS so I don’t expect miracles but I miss a strat a bit and need to resist getting into suhrs etc as I am recently favouring the Gibson scale.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 545454545454 Frets: 185
    With a bit of luck you might get one of the Mex Classics for about £400 - I had one of the 60s ones are it was an excellent vintage style strat (as opposed to the Classic Player with the modern tweaks, which tend to be a bit pricier). 
  • Squier classic vibe
    g&l tribute
    vintage brand
    all good. 
    You’d be lucky to get a fender classic at under £400. For £500 easily (in fact I know of a few that are available). Fender mex stds at £400 easily but I’d personally save some cheddar and go for one of the ones above and maybe put the spare into better pickups or something
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    You can easily get a Mex Standard for that. I gave 250 for this mid 90's Fender, it was a great guitar, ended up swapping it for a Baja Tele, Im not a Strat fan but that was a nice guitar.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2531
    You have posted in "Guitars £" in the "Classifieds" section, and are sure to get more advice by moving your post to "Guitar" under "Gear".
  • KDSKDS Frets: 255
    edited November 2020
    You should get a decent strat for £400. If you save up few hundred more and get a 2nd hand US G&L which is on par in my opinion to a  Fender CS, as long as you like the gloss finish and don't mind the headstock. Other than that a CV squire, 2nd hand mex fender. My mate bought an affinity tele for £129 new.... I was amazed how good it was  
  • KDSKDS Frets: 255
    robgilmo said:
    You can easily get a Mex Standard for that. I gave 250 for this mid 90's Fender, it was a great guitar, ended up swapping it for a Baja Tele, Im not a Strat fan but that was a nice guitar.

that looks nice. Candy Apple Red?
  • I’m currently sitting here playing my daughters Squier fsr bullet Tele into a tweed amp and it sounds like a bloody nice Tele .

If the Strat version is as good then it’s a bargain at about £160
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    I paid £220 for my Mexican Strat. In hindsight that wasn't a bad price. 

Spent a lot more on it since though! 

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I’ve got an earlier blade which for £400 is a better playing and sounding guitar than any fender I’ve played for anywhere near the money. 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Fuengi said:
    I paid £220 for my Mexican Strat. In hindsight that wasn't a bad price. 

Spent a lot more on it since though! 

Looks fantastic. Good job. 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    DLM said:
    You have posted in "Guitars £" in the "Classifieds" section, and are sure to get more advice by moving your post to "Guitar" under "Gear".
    Oops sorry! I will move it there as i originally  meant to.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    edited November 2020
    You get people saying get this£400 strat, put x £180 pick ups in put £50 steel block in,£60 locking tuners etc ,or you can just realise the old cliche is right and that why it gets rolled out time and time again
    "Tone is in the fingers "
    And the reason it  does is because its right.....
    £120 squier bullet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Get an early Squier Classic Vibe and a used set of 57 / 62 pickups and you're golden. Any other upgrades can wait til you can afford it.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If the Squier Classic Vibe isn't your thing, keep an eye out for a second hand Squier Deluxe. Similar quality, more modern appointments (2 point teen etc). Didn't catch on as well, so can be had for a bargain if you find one.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    mark123 said:
    You get people saying get this£400 strat, put x £180 pick ups in put £50 steel block in,£60 locking tuners etc ,or you can just realise the old cliche is right and that why it gets rolled out time and time again ,but the reason it  does is because its right.....
    £120 squier through a katana.....
    What's the cliche that's right?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Nice Squier, second hand Mexican, or FOUR Harley Bentons...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    There are quite a few really good Strat(like) options for £400 and under. And ones that don’t need a single thing changing, which is nice of you’re not a tinkerer. 

If you play a few, one will stand out 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    mark123 said:
    You get people saying get this£400 strat, put x £180 pick ups in put £50 steel block in,£60 locking tuners etc ,or you can just realise the old cliche is right and that why it gets rolled out time and time again ,but the reason it  does is because its right.....
    ha can't believed i missed it out !  " Tone is in the fingers" 

I've edited my original post ,cheers 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    mark123 said:
    thegummy said:
    mark123 said:
    ha can't believed i missed it out !  " Tone is in the fingers" 

I've edited my original post ,cheers 
    ah lol cool

That video sounds like balls though; as would a 10 grand guitar and amp combo when recorded on a phone from from a distance.

If the amp was miced in the normal way though, would anyone be able to pick it out from a selection of expensive guitars through expensive amps?

If they couldn't it would make a total mockery of the whole world of pursuing tone through electric guitar gear.