"Upgrading" from Ibanez SR500 to SR900?

What's Hot
Revv0Revv0 Frets: 1
Hi all,

I currently have an Ibanez SR500, owned for 10 years, first and only bass.

I love it and it's been great. However I've seen a used SR900 for sale, for not a lot of money. Is it a worthwhile upgrade and sell the SR500? The only differences I can tell are different wood used, and a through-neck. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the advice

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It does look like a significant upgrade - it has better pickups and electronics too, from the spec. I’ve never played a 900 series but my 700 series 5-string is noticeably better than a 500 series I tried.

But if you can afford to, buy it and keep both for a while before you decide, then sell the one you like less if you need to. Sometimes the ‘better’ one isn’t actually better - or at least, you just prefer the cheaper model.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It does look like a significant upgrade - it has better pickups and electronics too, from the spec. I’ve never played a 900 series but my 700 series 5-string is noticeably better than a 500 series I tried.

But if you can afford to, buy it and keep both for a while before you decide, then sell the one you like less if you need to. Sometimes the ‘better’ one isn’t actually better - or at least, you just prefer the cheaper model.
    Does the 900 have better pickups than the 500? I remember when I first bought my 500 I did consider a used 900 but I seem to recall it had the same Bartolini pickups and EQ. I imagine the exact specs may have been different across different model years, so may depend on what exact one he's looking at. 

The major difference was the 900 had a lovely looking through-neck construction rather than a bolt-on. I was tempted but went with the 500 as I was able to try it out and buy it direct from the seller rather than taking a punt on the 900 and having it posted from the other end of the country. 
  • Revv0Revv0 Frets: 1
    Yup they've got exactly the same electronics. Weirdly the SR800 seems to have better BH2 electronics, but it's a model down from SR900 :/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Revv0 said:
    Am I missing something?
    I refer the thread starter to my replies in his other Discussion of almost the same title.

Hopefully, a passing Modmin can merge the two into one.

ICBM said:
    … my 700 series 5-string is noticeably better than a 500 series I tried … if you can afford to, buy it …
    FTFY. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:

Does the 900 have better pickups than the 500? I remember when I first bought my 500 I did consider a used 900 but I seem to recall it had the same Bartolini pickups and EQ.
    Yes, I think you're right - it seems to be the 800 that has the better pickups. Odd.

ICBM said:
    … my 700 series 5-string is noticeably better than a 500 series I tried … if you can afford to, buy it …
    FTFY. ;)
    I'd have offered it already if he was looking for a 5-string :).

It's a really nice bass, but I've come to the conclusion that 5-strings are just not my thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Revv0Revv0 Frets: 1
    Revv0 said:
    Am I missing something?
    I refer the thread starter to my replies in his other Discussion of almost the same title.

Hopefully, a passing Modmin can merge the two into one.

ICBM said:
    FTFY. ;)

Sorry yes it would be good to merge the threads. I wasn't aware/didn't have an offer of the SR900 when I started the previous one