Help practicing bass

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
Hello good folk of the lower octaves!
I'm attempting to improve my bass playing during this lockdown period after not having played bass for a few years. I'm well aware that probably the key skill is being able to lock in with the drummer - so have you guys got any tips on how to practice this at home by yourself?! Playing along with a CD is one thing but when they're recorded to click tracks they're super-consistent which might not be the best practice for playing with a real drummer  ;)
Has anyone got any pointers please?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24165
    If that is what you are looking for - then Live albums. 
    There's usually a bit of variation there, and with well known bands lots of different live versions too.

Personally though - I'd suggest learning to read notation while you are at it. Your rhythm skills will improve massively along with it.

Jeff Berlin has a beginner reading course that is very good - and develops as it goes on. Stuart Clayton has 3 sight reading books that are also very good.

If you already read a bit then using double bass sight reading tests is an easy and cheap way of getting hundreds of examples to play. Just ignore the bowing instructions.
  • I know that he is sometimes a little heavy handed with his marketing approach but some of the content over at Scott's Bass Lesson's is actually brilliant. There are some really great tips and tricks, practice routines and advice from guys like Paul Turner, Sean Hurley and Gary Willis, I'm sure buried in the thousands of videos is exactly what you're looking for! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    if you've got a Mac playing along with the Garageband drummers might be fun

• I know that he is sometimes a little heavy handed with his marketing approach but some of the content over at Scott's Bass Lesson's is actually brilliant. There are some really great tips and tricks, practice routines and advice from guys like Paul Turner, Sean Hurley and Gary Willis, I'm sure buried in the thousands of videos is exactly what you're looking for! 
    This. My son made very quick progress cherry picking Scott's lessons, he has a clear and detailed way of explaining things. But his business model is sooo annoying, just don't subscribe to anything with his name on. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Talking bass.net is very good. Loads of video lessons with accompanying tab, ebooks etc. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    If that is what you are looking for - then Live albums. 
    There's usually a bit of variation there, and with well known bands lots of different live versions too.

Personally though - I'd suggest learning to read notation while you are at it. Your rhythm skills will improve massively along with it.

Jeff Berlin has a beginner reading course that is very good - and develops as it goes on. Stuart Clayton has 3 sight reading books that are also very good.

If you already read a bit then using double bass sight reading tests is an easy and cheap way of getting hundreds of examples to play. Just ignore the bowing instructions.
    Interesting thoughts there @fretmeister , thanks. I can read music to a basic level so I’ll have a think, although think I’ll work more on basic techniques before getting too deep into theory.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    @PeachGuitarsRyan and @EricTheWeary I’ve already been binge watching his YouTube videos which I have to say are very good. I’m sure his proper online courses are even better so I may see what’s available on there too.

NPP said:
    if you've got a Mac playing along with the Garageband drummers might be fun
    Good idea thanks, I can use my iPad

Balrog68 said:
    Talking bass.net is very good. Loads of video lessons with accompanying tab, ebooks etc. 
    That looks like a great resource that I hadn’t found before, thank you!
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    I know that he is sometimes a little heavy handed with his marketing approach but some of the content over at Scott's Bass Lesson's is actually brilliant. There are some really great tips and tricks, practice routines and advice from guys like Paul Turner, Sean Hurley and Gary Willis, I'm sure buried in the thousands of videos is exactly what you're looking for! 
    This. My son made very quick progress cherry picking Scott's lessons, he has a clear and detailed way of explaining things. But his business model is sooo annoying, just don't subscribe to anything with his name on
    Same with Tony Polecastro.
    Yer I found some good stuff on Scott's posts, and been annoyed equally. Suppose he's got bills to pay as well however.