Anyone tried the relatively new Squier classic vibe 60s Mustang bass?

brooombrooom Frets: 1170
Wondering if anyone has tried one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am also intrigued. I really fancy one but hard to find real life reviews. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Those do look very cool. I haven't tried one personally, but every other guitar or bass in that series I've come across has been excellent - not just good for the money - so I'd be prepared to risk it anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• "the internet" doesn't seem very impressed with them, with reports of dodgy QC and a poor pickup.

That said, I've yet to see a proper review from a "real person" as opposed to a throwaway comment on YouTube so that could well be nonsense. 

The Player Series PJ Mustangs look great too, but I don't really want the J pickup and more importantly the bridge is all wrong. I do wonder whether the G&L Fallout Tribute is the bass that a modern Mustang should really be... 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

The Player Series PJ Mustangs look great too, but I don't really want the J pickup and more importantly the bridge is all wrong.
    I've just been trying one of those. It's frustrating - the neck is wonderful, but almost everything else is wrong and needs changing or upgrading... the machineheads are full-size P/J ones (overly long key shafts and too heavy) the bridge is cheap and nasty (steel baseplate, but alloy saddles), the combination of those makes the whole thing slightly neck-heavy, the J pickup is as usual weak-sounding compared to the P, the switch is poor quality, and the wiring is a complete rat's nest and very noisy. And on top of that the green pickguard is hideous. So I'd have to replace or fix all that, which would cost about half as much as the thing is worth, at which point I'd rather just buy a Vintera and have it right to start with, since I don't even want the J pickup.

In fact, I've also got a Squier Affinity Bronco here, and it's just a better instrument - it sounds better, it's got much more of a ring to it unplugged than the slightly dull Mustang, the pickup is louder and punchier than the Mustang's P one despite being a ceramic-magnet Strat pickup really, and even the wiring is less noisy, which is astonishing. And it's a quarter of the price. A friend of mine is buying it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    I'd seek the old Mikey Way signature model. Shove an EMG-35P in it. Maybe a -BTC or -VMC onboard EQ too.
    Be seeing you.