Help Do You Know Anything About Greg Lakes Bass Guitar

What's Hot
MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
edited November 2020 in Bass
Used on the new anthology cover ? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    It's an Alembic Scorpion 8-String.  Looks like the controls are pretty standard, as are the pickups.  I seem to remember that the middle one is a hum-cancelling coil, rather than a pickup.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Looks like it only has 4 strings in that pic, IMHO etc ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Looking at the neck width in the picture it doesn’t look wide enough for eight strings.
    Has he had it shaved down or modified?
  • Mudcrutch said:
    Looking at the neck width in the picture it doesn’t look wide enough for eight strings.
    I think it’s octave pairs rather than like a modern 8 string. Looking at pictures online of that, or a similar one at least,  no it’s not been modified. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    They're pretty narrow, and octave strings - not meant to be played as an 8 string.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Current price list for Alembic.
    The 8 strings are a custom order but you get the idea...

http://www.alembic.com/prod/prices.html

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Jalapeno said:
    Looks like it only has 4 strings in that pic, IMHO etc ;) 
    I can definitely see five - the low E is clearly doubled with a thin octave string, if you look over the pickups - and there appear to be red cotton windings on all the machineheads, so I'd say eight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks guys I’ve just had a look around at a few .
    Quite interesting guitars .
  • There’s a Q and A on Greg’s website ( I found whilst googling) and he was asked about using it again. So, in 2000 he said no as it had been damaged. 

I remember seeing Nazareth live in, I think, 1979 and being as interested in Pete Agnew’s Alembic as the band. Quite a rarity. 

Jaydee basses obviously  borrowed a lot looks wise from Alembic and they’re perhaps a more common site in the U.K. And a fraction of the price from new ( I wonder what the waiting time is). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I’m probably going to have to listen to all Greg’s recordings now listening out for this 8sting to see what it brings that I’ve never noticed before?
    Something else to do during this lockdown and over Christmas.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I've played it, both when he came our Uni in the 80s and in a shop.

It was on their Fanfare For The Common Man video.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    Scroll to 4:46 if you want to see him playing the 8 Sting

• BorkBork Frets: 255
    edited December 2020
    Mudcrutch said:
    Looking at the neck width in the picture it doesn’t look wide enough for eight strings.
    It's a custom moulded composite neck.  Alembic offered them as an option from 1976 to sometime in 1983. Geoff Gould made them under contract before setting up Modulus Graphite. John McVie,  Stanley Clarke,  John Entwhistle and Jimmy Johnson also owned examples. 
    PhilKing said:
    It's an Alembic Scorpion 8-String.  Looks like the controls are pretty standard, as are the pickups.  I seem to remember that the middle one is a hum-cancelling coil, rather than a pickup.
    Correct, a series one 8 string. The serial number is 791300. The series one and two basses feature stereo onboard circuitry.  So if the bass has been recorded in stereo with both pickups active, you will get the bridge pickup through one side and the neck pickup through the other. 

[This space for rent]