EMG active EQ - DG20 - scratchplate - I want to add a treble control

ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
I love the EMG DG20. It has volume, SPC and EXG knobs

I have an old and a newer one - slightly different inner layout, I think the newer one has the pots in a single unit, like this

trouble is, sometimes I want to dial the treble/presence down, and can't do it

what are the options?

I was told that you can get a flat pot wheel that sticks out of the edge of the scratchplate, doesn't sound very ergonomic though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited November 2020
    On your older DG-20 assembly, the controls should be individual pots, linked by Solderless™ interconnect cables. 

Simply disconnect the -EXG pot/PCB leads. Unfasten the -EXG. Replace it with either an EMG VLPF or their Passive Tone control.

NOTE: The VLPF uses the same five pin connections and orientation as the -EXG. The passive treble roll off has both block connectors the same way up.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    On your older DG-20 assembly, the controls should be individual pots, linked by Solderless™ interconnect cables. 

Simply disconnect the -EXG pot/PCB leads. Unfasten the -EXG. Replace it with either an EMG VLPF or their Passive Tone control.

NOTE: The VLPF uses the same five pin connections and orientation as the -EXG. The passive treble roll off has both block connectors the same way up.
    ah, should have said, I love the EXG and SPC, I just want to add a tone control. The older one is not as trebly I found today.
    the new one is like an amp with the treble and presence all the way up
  • How about a fixed treble roll-off on a mini-toggle switch? Might take a bit of trial and error for the correct value resistor/capacitor combination to get it dialled in to what you want. Or do you need more continuous control than that - does it need to be a pot?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    How about a fixed treble roll-off on a mini-toggle switch? Might take a bit of trial and error for the correct value resistor/capacitor combination to get it dialled in to what you want. Or do you need more continuous control than that - does it need to be a pot?
    if I was to drill a hole for a switch, I could install a pot instead surely?

I think it would need tweaking like a normal tone control

I had some steinbergers with active bass and treble EQ, which is easier to use.
    I had the same pots installed on another strat , so know how it feels to tweak bass and treble independently
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    ah, should have said, I love the EXG and SPC, I just want to add a tone control. 
    If you can borrow a VLPF, try my control substitution suggestion anyway. (Maybe, even, with just the DG-20 flying cables connected to the VLPF, leaving the EXG fastened to the pickguard.) Alternatively, try a Stratocaster-type guitar with EMG-SA pickups and the VLPF or Passive Tone controls.

Either way, you may be underwhelmed. At least, you will have avoided mangling a pickguard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.