Convince me

What's Hot
aroofaroof Frets: 67
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I am really really GASing for a American Performer telecaster, the neck humbucker one.
But I have way way too many guitars, including a nashville b bender tele. I dont play it a lot and I never use the b bender.

My plan is to put a vibramate and 'F' bigsby on the Performer. I'm looking at a bit of change from £1400. I'd sell the bender tele.

Am I being stupid and/or gone lockdown crazy? I kinda feel like the bender tele is a 'proper' USA tele while the Performer has some compromises and I may be downgrading, losing money and having to go into the minefield of selling (during lockdown!).

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    American Performer is the latest in a bunch of Fender series names that have been applied to instruments of mixed origins.

The formula has consistently been wooden bits of equivalent quality to the American Pro series with Asian hardware. (The obvious comparator here is the PRS S2 series.) 

Pickups vary from model to model. Check the specs for whichever model you are considering.

IMO, the money required to purchase an AmPerf Tele and, then, fit a Bigsby would probably net a tidy, pre-owned, all-American guitar that has the Bigsby factory fitted.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • aroofaroof Frets: 67
    Yeah I can def see the sense there, tx for that.

I also forgot that Id have to buy a Hiscox too cos they only come with gigbag (1k guitar with a bag, rly??).

I want vintage white, a neck humbucker, bigsby and Hiscox. I basically want Bernard Butler's telecaster. It just dont know if it seems realistic finding that secondhand.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    I'm opposed to humbuckers in general and especially on a Tele.  You shouldn't gas for something that I myself wouldn't want.

Sorry, I tried.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If you really want to, do it. If not don't
  • aroof said:

I also forgot that Id have to buy a Hiscox too cos they only come with gigbag (1k guitar with a bag, rly??).

A gig bag is enough for a Tele. And it’s away of reducing the cost of a USA guitar.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    Teles dont need a case .They should always be combat ready .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    The Tele bridge is a key part fo the Tele sound.  A Bigsby might affect that.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Humbuckers on Teles are sacrilege and you'll end up a servant of Beelzebub in the firey pits of hell.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Sassafras said:
    Humbuckers on Teles are sacrilege and you'll end up a servant of Beelzebub in the firey pits of hell.
    Harsh  :s
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Sassafras said:
    Even just one, at the neck? 
  • aroofaroof Frets: 67
    Thanks everyone, some stuff to think about here.

Sassafras said:
    I'm definitely already going there :lol: