Best tele for around £1000

What's Hot
Looking for a tele style guitar (doesn't have to be Fender) for around £1000 - £1300, can be new or used, the chunkier the neck profile the better and preferably a 41.3mm nut, but this isn't imperative. I've had a good browse but maybe there's some brands I haven't come across yet, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I played a baja tele years ago which I thought was great value. They seem to have jumped up in price now but it was really good. Nice neck on it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 449
    The Ritchie Kotzen Tele's get a lot of love generally and they've got a chunky old neck.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    K Line Truxton ?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Best (as opposed to the most expensive)Tele I've ever played was a Classic 50s lacquer. I think the current equivalent is the Vintera Roadworn which comes in at a gnat's under a grand.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Greg Koch sig reverend .
  • I’ve just got one of the new 50s Road Worns, it’s a great Tele, nitro, chunky neck, under a grand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a nice g&l asat in the classified. I also own a fender American deluxe and Suhr alt t (and used to own a fender elite among others) and the g&l is as good, build quality wise as them all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    edited November 2020
    LG "50" oled

sorry someone had to do it ! 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited November 2020
    US 52 Reissue or American Original 50s. Every one I’ve played has sounded like a ‘real’ Tele should. Necks vary considerably over the years (earlier ones were nothing like a real vintage shape).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    No affiliation, but there is an av58 in the classifieds. You won’t find a better tele for a grand
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 255
    edited November 2020
    Us 52 RI or 62 or g&l asat
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    USA 52 RI. Easy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 255
    Gassage said:
    USA 52 RI. Easy.
    If you want a pure Tele you can’t wrong with that, every one I’ve tried was great
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Apart from when the 'butterscotch' is more orange. That doesn't look right. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Any tele for 4 figures should be absolutely perfect. The essence of the design is a chopping board with a neck screwed to it and the more you guild this particular lilly, the more you loose the character that makes it special. 

Which in the real world means any of the above might be YOUR best tele. It all comes down to how you bond with an individual guitar. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    dazzajl said:
    Any tele for 4 figures should be absolutely perfect. The essence of the design is a chopping board with a neck screwed to it and the more you guild this particular lilly, the more you loose the character that makes it special. 

Absolutely. I've been looking for a long time at a beautiful custom shop Esquire on Reverb but at 2.8k I can't justify it no matter how gorgeous it looks. Feast your eyes - https://reverb.com/item/35482825-fender-custom-shop-59-esquire-relic-blonde-fender-case-coa
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504

That 58 AVRI is the one I'd buy if I were you. Great guitar great price (no affil)
    A Used Baja is also a fab buy -sounds and play great and one of Fenders best standard production necks.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    JezWynd said:
    dazzajl said:

Absolutely. I've been looking for a long time at a beautiful custom shop Esquire on Reverb but at 2.8k I can't justify it no matter how gorgeous it looks. Feast your eyes - https://reverb.com/item/35482825-fender-custom-shop-59-esquire-relic-blonde-fender-case-coa
    That is properly properly gorgeous. And then I come back round to the jarring feeling of taking such a refined route to recreate a guitar that was a blue collar slab, working tool. 

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love to play it though :3
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    2nd hand USA Tele Standard would leave you a nice amount change.