Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Origin Effects Magma 57 vibe/Magnatone

What's Hot

Comments

• So does this replace a univibe pedal and tremolo? Everyone lust after the harmonic trem but this sounds amazing.
    not sure on differences in the two?

i have a revival drive compact. Love it. Do I need this too? Will it stack in to each other well?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So does this replace a univibe pedal and tremolo? Everyone lust after the harmonic trem but this sounds amazing.
    not sure on differences in the two?

i have a revival drive compact. Love it. Do I need this too? Will it stack in to each other well?
    It’s not a tremolo - it creates a variation in pitch, not volume. It doesn’t have the thump that a tremolo has if that makes sense and I don’t think it would replace one of you were doing covers that require a tremolo. It does do a univibe sort of thing, but again I’m not sure it would replace one if you were always using a univibe heavily. I can’t get on with Univibe as always want to sound like Hendrix, and Doesn't mater what univibe I use, I don’t. It is however, bloody lovely, and if you want that “sort” of sound, it gets very close and has its own flavour. Maybe not quiet as swirly as a Univibe if that makes sense. 

I’ve just got a Fairfield Randy Revenge and that does a cracking dirty Trem, and can get quiet Harmonic-y.

I’ve wanted a good vibrato for ages, and love Magnatone overdriven tones, so this was a no brainier for me. I also think I’ll be using the Vibrato in place of a tremolo in a fair amount of my own music now. 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    JohnPerry said:
    Yes, it really is sublime.

I have the Magma and the Revival Trem and unless they are both set cleanish they sound better individually than stacked (it all gets a bit mushy if both drive controls are set for breakup).

Got to remember (as with the query above about using it into a driven amp) these are each a full amp signal path. They'll sound better and more distinct into a clean amp or a power amp.

That said I have had both the trem and vibe going at once with the drive controls backed off and they sound glorious together, especially with the speeds synced.

I suppose if you treat these as your amp then you can add a gain pedal in front for extra flavours of overdrive. 

Also if a preamp valve goes in your amp mid gig, you can go directly into your effects loop as a back up or just carry a power amp pedal in your bag to and go straight into your speakers / cab. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As the owner of a real Magnatone (Twilighter 1x12) I agree with @brucegill, the pitch shifting vibrato is a much more subtle effect than a tremolo, but it sits in the mix beautifully. Splash of reverb and it’s just the nicest clean tone. 

It would be great to compare this pedal to my amp. Looks good.
  • As the owner of a real Magnatone (Twilighter 1x12) I agree with @brucegill, the pitch shifting vibrato is a much more subtle effect than a tremolo, but it sits in the mix beautifully. Splash of reverb and it’s just the nicest clean tone. 

Send me your amp, I shall happily oblige :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Send me your amp, I shall happily oblige :)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    another few hours playing today and have to say its the best pedal i have bought for a long time....well worth a try
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    another few hours playing today and have to say its the best pedal i have bought for a long time....well worth a try
    Same here. Just gets better and better the more you get to know it. Very very pleased with this one. More so than I was with the Revival trem. 
  • Have either of you tried stacking it with other gain pedals and/or boosts running before it? How does it compare to other well respected low gain drive pedals you've used? 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @Hattigol this thread isn't helping is it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    i have tried a Nordland ODR 1 before and it sounds great, the drive is lovely imo..
  • Have either of you tried stacking it with other gain pedals and/or boosts running before it? How does it compare to other well respected low gain drive pedals you've used? 
    Tried a Benson into it and sounded good, but then got carried away without the extra boost. Brothers on boost into it was nice too
  • mgaw said:
    i have tried a Nordland ODR 1 before and it sounds great, the drive is lovely imo..
    Urgh, the Nordland and Benson are both in my 'drives to try' list. I've just updated my rotary/chorus/trem pedals and thought I had modulation sounds covered, but this Magma does look very good indeed  :# Enjoy! 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I would love to add a tweedy sounding pedal and this is probably the best I've heard - it would be great if they did the preamp section as a standalone pedal.
    John_P said:
    I would love to add a tweedy sounding pedal and this is probably the best I've heard - it would be great if they did the preamp section as a standalone pedal.
    sounding wonderful today into a Kingsley Page   
  • I took delivery of the Magman57 last wk, we have them in stock along with the other origin pedals: https://custompedalboards.co.uk/product-category/pedals/origin-effects/

I must say, what a pedal!! I love it, that and the supro trem, for me produce all the sounds I want, OD & wobbly bolliks, whats not to love!
    Head on over to our FB page and theres some vids, comparing the supro trem, revival drive, revival trem and the magma57 into a Magnatone amp! the camera is a bit clippy, but there u go: https://www.facebook.com/CustomPedalBoards

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • I took delivery of the Magman57 last wk, we have them in stock along with the other origin pedals: https://custompedalboards.co.uk/product-category/pedals/origin-effects/

I must say, what a pedal!! I love it, that and the supro trem, for me produce all the sounds I want, OD & wobbly bolliks, whats not to love!
    Head on over to our FB page and theres some vids, comparing the supro trem, revival drive, revival trem and the magma57 into a Magnatone amp! the camera is a bit clippy, but there u go: https://www.facebook.com/CustomPedalBoards

Do you do attic conversions as well as pedalboard builds? I want mine to look like that room. 

Do you do attic conversions as well as pedalboard builds? I want mine to look like that room. 
    hahaa yes custom attic conversions a speciality! 
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • Well I love this thing. Set to subtle it’s pretty much always on. I keep trying boosts or drives into it but end up back with just the Magma on. 

Have now put a wanted ad out for another Revival Trem. I was an idiot selling my last one. Let me know if anyone wants to part with theirs :)
  • @JohnPerry and anyone with both this and the Revival Trem -

I seem to have to have the Magma on EQ2 and the Revival on EQ1.

The Magma is very Bass heavy so needs taming buy using the brighter EQ2, and the Revival trem sounds thin and crap on EQ2? 

does that sound right? I’m a little surprised at the sound I’m getting from the revival Trem. Seems to have waaaaaay more drive and is all a little thin and  nasally. I only got it delivered today, but I much much prefer the Magma at the moment. Could just need to have a good play with it but having to have the eq set differently makes no sense