PSA: PRS Starla SE £349 new

What's Hot
Hell of a deal on these, I'd go for one myself if we weren't about to move house! :(

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/191009349548008--prs-se-starla-stoptail-metallic-green

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is quite cool looking, but couldn't they have softened the pointy headstock a bit?
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited November 2020
    Jeez.

I really wanted the original Starla Stoptail when they came out like a decade ago. Difficult to find though at the time, most dealers didn't bother with them, they opted for the 'X' instead if anything. Was always gonna be a bit of a black sheep in the PRS catalogue but dammit if the Starla didn't sound better than almost any other model.

Would need to put actual USA Starla pickups in this though... these distant second-cousin OEM pickups they are using do not have the magic. Almost possible to justify at that price, but I really just don't need another dual humbucker guitar right now.

Great colour though. Someone will be happy!

edit... aaaaaand it's gone anyway now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    Shock!! horror!!-sold out. Funny how that always seems to happen with the real bargains.
    All the other bargains are normally that price or cheaper most of the year anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    It’s a bargain but I never did like that colour
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Whitecat said:
    Would need to put actual USA Starla pickups in this though... these distant second-cousin OEM pickups they are using do not have the magic.
    I beg to differ. I have one of the G&B-made pickups in an S2 Vela, where it sounds very nice, thank you. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited November 2020
    Whitecat said:
    Would need to put actual USA Starla pickups in this though... these distant second-cousin OEM pickups they are using do not have the magic.
    I beg to differ. I have one of the G&B-made pickups in an S2 Vela, where it sounds very nice, thank you. 
    That’s not the pickup in the SE though - they have changed them again. I had a Vela for a good while. It (the Starla pickup) was decent and superior to what I’ve heard with the SE Starlas but did not have the slight Filtertron vibe that the USA Starla pickups had - that sparkle was missing. Did a “thing” still - Paul said in a video that they based the S2 Starla pickups on Teisco Delrays... 
  • ^ isn't it? I'd be surprised if they offered two far-east variants from the same supplier, but I suppose it's far from impossible.

Yeah, shame it sold so quickly - but no surprise!
    edited November 2020
    ^ isn't it? I'd be surprised if they offered two far-east variants from the same supplier, but I suppose it's far from impossible.

Yeah, shame it sold so quickly - but no surprise!
    Yes, different. PRS calls them “DS-02” pickups and the ones on the Vela are “S2 Starlas”. 

Being that there are three different countries involved in the manufacturing equation with those two models it’s not that improbable, esp since the SE is probably even more carefully made to a price than the S2. 

Edit: as of 2020 it gets even murkier - the 2019 Vela has “Starla” as the pickup type. The 2020 spec sheet has “DS-01”. So perhaps same supplier as SE, different wind/output... but it means that 2020 Velas have different bridge pickups to prior models. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    My mistake. I did not check the SE spec. I assumed that the same G&B-sourced pickup had been chosen again.

Whitecat said:
    Paul said in a video that they based the S2 Starla pickups on Teisco Delrays.
    That assertion makes sense to me. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    edited November 2020
    Spotted that deal this morning, was very tempted for 5 mins before rationalisation kicked in. Great deal amongst some questionable ones.