SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: SVL or MBGuitars or Smitty or vintage strat

What's Hot
micamusedmicamused Frets: 19
edited April 2022 in Guitars £
Please let me know if you have any great strat preferably with dark rosewood fretboard, but also open to maple lately ... medium to hard relic is a plus.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MbarnezMbarnez Frets: 232
    edited November 2020
    @Marco78 had a Smitty for sale on here a few weeks ago. Don’t know if it’s still available.
  • Mbarnez said:
    @Marco78 had a Smitty for sale on here a few weeks ago. Don’t know if it’s still available.
    I contacted him, but it was a little expensive and not my favorite color, so I was better of ordering a new one for the extra cash.
  • Mbarnez said:
    Hi, my strat is still available. 
  • Thanks Marco, I keep it as an opton but still looking for other options :)
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Project Music has a used Smitty, looks great to me!
  • greejn said:
    Project Music has a used Smitty, looks great to me!
    Thanks @greejn, it is a good find, but man I feel like I 'd rather pay the extra 300 euros and ask Eric to build one to my own specs, color, wood,... THey are selling too expensive for a pre-owned Smitty. The last one sold for 1350 euros on Reverb, and it sit there for weeks. Also, I always wonder why someone would order that kind of specific strat, and resell as fast, the guitar looks like a 2020 to me. Weird...
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    edited December 2020
    What always shocks me is the number of Smitty guitars you see second hand. World guitars would regularly sell them, only to have them back on the website second hand a few months later. 

The Bowes look great, I hadn't heard of him before but they look remarkably similar to the SVL guitars. 

Sorry for cluttering your WTB thread, but its a free bump anyway. 
  • Thanks guy,

this red Smitty looks cool, but the hum in the bridge is really not something I am after in a strat, and also the shop is asking almost the new price for a second-hand guitar that had been sold before for 600 pounds less, WTF???

I agree that few Smitty are for sell which is a good sign IMO.

No problem @PudWud, MB look great and he builds body and necks from blancks, which is not the case of SVL I guess so this is one difference.

BTW thanks a forum member, I found an SVL second-hand that was sold in Paris (my hometown), so I will get that one in a week (i did the downpayment).

But I will keep the thread active because I still want to try to fins a good Smitty or MB if any appears on the market and suits my needs... maybe a mapple neck for this one.
  • JGCJGC Frets: 157
    donner said:

I saw that, and far too expensive....that particular guitar has been doing the rounds for ages and sold for around £1600 at one point...no one has kept it long, really don't know why...it was on ebay a couple of weeks ago at £1800 and then shows up on SAP for £2.5k ?????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    micamused said:
    Thanks guy,

this red Smitty looks cool, but the hum in the bridge is really not something I am after in a strat, and also the shop is asking almost the new price for a second-hand guitar that had been sold before for 600 pounds less, WTF???

I agree that few Smitty are for sell which is a good sign IMO.

No problem @PudWud, MB look great and he builds body and necks from blancks, which is not the case of SVL I guess so this is one difference.

BTW thanks a forum member, I found an SVL second-hand that was sold in Paris (my hometown), so I will get that one in a week (i did the downpayment).

But I will keep the thread active because I still want to try to fins a good Smitty or MB if any appears on the market and suits my needs... maybe a mapple neck for this one.
    Let me know how you find the SVL.
    I used to own a Sonic Blue SVL that I got direct from Simon in 2016. Was a very nice guitar, but as you say, he isn’t building completely from scratch. I don’t think it affects the quality of the final product in any way, it’s just something to consider in terms of how the money is spent. 
    I sold it about 2 years ago and as far as I know the guy who bought it from me is still very happy with it. 
  • AflfAflf Frets: 24
    Maybe this will be of interest:
    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/smitty-stratocaster-custom-classic-standard-handbuilt/1267561122-74-4835
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited December 2020
    JGC said:
    donner said:

I saw that, and far too expensive....that particular guitar has been doing the rounds for ages and sold for around £1600 at one point...no one has kept it long, really don't know why...it was on ebay a couple of weeks ago at £1800 and then shows up on SAP for £2.5k ?????
    It was me that last owned the Red Smitty now in Sound Affects and I had it up on eBay before i decided to part exchange it.

I brought it outside the forum for £1675 if I remember correctly but the previous owner was a forum member and had it listed on the forum as well at the time.

I got £1800 for it in part exchange from Sound Affects and received a few offers around £1600 when it was on eBay which I did not accept as I knew what Sound Affects were offering against the new guitar I wanted.

It has indeed done the rounds having originally been sold by WG then Peach and WG again along with various private sales as well.

I am not a Strat player and it was brought for a specific project and fill a hole in my guitar collection. It's a nice guitar but I just didn't bond with it for some reason.

Collings said:
    JGC said:
    donner said:

It was me that last owned the Red Smitty now in Sound Affects and I had it up on eBay before i decided to part exchange it.

I brought it outside the forum for £1675 if I remember correctly but the previous owner was a forum member and had it listed on the forum as well at the time.

I got £1800 for it in part exchange from Sound Affects and received a few offers around £1600 when it was on eBay which I did not accept as I knew what Sound Affects were offering against the new guitar I wanted.

It has indeed done the rounds having originally been sold by WG then Peach and WG again along with various private sales as well.

I am not a Strat player and it was brought for a specific project and fill a hole in my guitar collection. It's a nice guitar but I just didn't bond with it for some reason.

Interesting.....I don't know what SAP are thinking with that level of markup as the price is very close to a new one.  Clearly it's not "bonded" with a lot of people for some reason...by my estimate it's had 3 or 4 owners in the last 18 months. Always liked the look of it but never played a Smitty so caution prevails.......
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 834
    To be fair to SAP, they always negotiate a bit, so the actual selling price may well be a couple of £100 less which leaves £500 mark up for retail overheads, plus responsibility of guaranteeing it and shipping costs etc after which they get to make a bit of profit which at the end of the day is the purpose of their business.

I appreciate that none of that mitigates against the now small gap between the used and new price, so if anything maybe they gave too much in p/x.

They're a great shop to deal with: guitars always arrive within 24 hours, well set up, with a no quibble exchange policy and a good warranty so you get what you pay for.

RevMatt said:
    To be fair to SAP, they always negotiate a bit, so the actual selling price may well be a couple of £100 less which leaves £500 mark up for retail overheads, plus responsibility of guaranteeing it and shipping costs etc after which they get to make a bit of profit which at the end of the day is the purpose of their business.

I appreciate that none of that mitigates against the now small gap between the used and new price, so if anything maybe they gave too much in p/x.

They're a great shop to deal with: guitars always arrive within 24 hours, well set up, with a no quibble exchange policy and a good warranty so you get what you pay for.

Sound Affects are my local shop and I always buy from them if possible. I've probably bought 10 guitars from them in total over the last 7-8 years. They're a really great shop and very welcoming. Tim the owner in particular is a really nice chap. 

As stated here, I doubt it will sell for that price, did world guitars have it up for around £2350 when they re-sold it? 

This is what always confuses me about Smitty guitars, they look fantastic but tend to not stay in the player's hands for too long. This has always been a bit of a red flag for me. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    PudWud said:
    RevMatt said:

Sound Affects are my local shop and I always buy from them if possible. I've probably bought 10 guitars from them in total over the last 7-8 years. They're a really great shop and very welcoming. Tim the owner in particular is a really nice chap. 

As stated here, I doubt it will sell for that price, did world guitars have it up for around £2350 when they re-sold it? 

This is what always confuses me about Smitty guitars, they look fantastic but tend to not stay in the player's hands for too long. This has always been a bit of a red flag for me. 
    I would agree. I,ve used SAP a few times now and they have been superb on all occasions.

WG did have this guitar up used at about £2300 and they currently have a used one of similar spec around the same price so SAP are not significantly different in their advertised price to WG.
    PudWud said:
    RevMatt said:

I think it sold for £2195 at WG or similar, it was up at £2395 there originally. I'm not criticising SAP as such, just think the price is a bit heavy handed. Like you, always liked the look of Smittys  but when they move around this much it is a red flag.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I found one second-hand SVL in France which was at a very good price so i could not pass on it, but I am still in for another strat for mid-term, maybe a Smitty or one MBguitars...