Coverdale Page

RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
Ere’s an album fawwww yaaa... 

Does anyone else like this? Passed me by at the time, but over the past couple of years I’ve listened to it off and on. 

I reckon musically it’s probably Pagey’s most consistent showing since Zep. Some of the lyrics are of course pants, this being the operative word for Coverdale’s worst excesses, but all in all it’s a pot noodle record. You feel a right slag for indulging, but once in a while doesn’t do too much harm. 

So opinons? Pants or pot noodle? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5456
    Well that's a bit weird... I was gonna post about this today as well!
    I bought the album when it came out and really liked it, but haven't heard it since then. I put it on Spotify yesterday and didn't take to it at all which was a shame.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I remember getting Pride and Joy as a track on a Parlophone/EMI sampler tape with Vox magazine- remember that?- when it was current. 

It really stood out among the rest of the mostly indie fare, but not in a good way for me at the time. 

With hindsight it’s teo old farts pissing about and having a laugh. Harmless fun and riffology. 

What didn’t you like about it @DiscoStu
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Tell you what, Coverdale doesn't half sound like Chris Cornell at times.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    It's OK.
    I remember I bought it after one track was on a sampler disk.
    Another band on the same disk was Rockhead - that was a great album!

• It's an interesting record for sure. There's some trademark "light and shade" stuff along with the expected riffery. David finally gets to be his hero and doesn't waste the opportunity. From what I remember they both took it extremely seriously with Coverdale binning Whitesnake to do it. It's also responsible for Plant finally giving in to a reunion... sly from the dragon trousered one. Sadly CP only did a handful of Japanese gigs before this happened - as you'd expect the bootlegs aren't suitable for younger listeners. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132
    edited November 2020
    I bought the album when it came out. I remember it being one of the first albums where I was anticipating it months in advance.

Still love it. Came out at a perfect time for me as a teen who was learning to play guitar and who was also developing a love for Led Zep.

Also a record which feels me quite emotional as it came out close to when my mother died. 

• Always felt it was a "less than the sum of its parts" album. I was really looking forward to it being released but I was a bit underwhelmed when I heard it and it dropped off my playlist fairly quickly.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22698

Not sure I've ever actually heard it, apart from a couple of tracks.  I'd gone off Coverdale/Whitesnake a few years before and I've never really warmed to any of Page's post-Zeppelin stuff.

(Dare I say I'd rather listen to Kingdom Come?)

• Dunno.......I just love the album.
    Guess it wasn't reasonable to expect something that could match Page and Coverdale from their peak years.
    Taking it at a face value, I like this album more than some of their main band's works.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
    I always felt that Coverdale is an under-rated singer (though he's lost his voice lately).

He didn't do himself any favours with his lyrics too.

I remember a video with Jon Lord saying incredulously 'Slide It In???'  and speaking of Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody falling over themselves laughing at Coverdale preening before an audience doing all the sexy moves, in front of a male audience :-)

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Yeah, had dug this out recently myself.   Love shake my tree.     

I read an interview from Coverdale that said they started on a second album but their schedules clashed. So it didn't happen
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    Not the greatest efforts of both but does contain some pearls such like Shake my tree, pride and Joy and the very Pagey Easy does it. 

I believe they started a tour but had to stop it after the Japan's dates. 

Would have been interesting to see other effort from this collab as the potential was here, but Page re-united with Plant very soon after.
  • jaymenon said:
    I always felt that Coverdale is an under-rated singer (though he's lost his voice lately).

He didn't do himself any favours with his lyrics too.

I remember a video with Jon Lord saying incredulously 'Slide It In???'  and speaking of Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody falling over themselves laughing at Coverdale preening before an audience doing all the sexy moves, in front of a male audience :-)
    First band I saw. October 1979. I was impressed, but it was my fifteenth birthday. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
    I watched a video of Coverdale-page live in Japan. They played some Led Zeppelin songs and unlike Robert Plant live, David Coverdale actually hit the high notes - for example the high minor 3rd in the song “rock ‘n’ roll“ (Those phrases in italics).

‘It's been a long time since I rock and rolled’

‘Been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time’