What's Hot
I made this video talking about the great mick green 

Why I love mick greens guitar playing
https://youtu.be/v2y9WYl5lc0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    A friend of mine will salute you and your choice - He always mentions Mick as an early influence and a pioneer plus rarely given the credit he deserves 
  • Great video James - I’m a fellow Mick Green enthusiast, and saw The Pirates a lot of times back in the late 70’s, always transfixed by Mick’s mastery of that combined rythmn & lead style ... always thought his tour de force was on the first album - when Johnny Spence’s mic stopped working they played “Peter Gunn”, and he really could let loose ... Learnt a lot from watching him play, and I have to say, you’ve got his style off better than me  :)
  • @guitars4you i agree with your friend
  • @gretschthumper he was just brilliant and out of their skulls is in ,top albums of all time to
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    edited November 2020
    I saw The Pirates with Mick Green a few times. Last time I saw them was at The Top Rank in Cardiff. Amazing player and a massive inspiration to me when I first heard him, I was 14 or 15...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    A friend of mine will salute you and your choice - He always mentions Mick as an early influence and a pioneer plus rarely given the credit he deserves 
    Is your friend Wilko Johnson?
    He always gives credit to Mick Green as a main influence.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Mick Green was an influence on many guitarists of a certain age.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Roland said:
    Mick Green was an influence on many guitarists of a certain age.
    He was on me and so was Wilko. 
  • Great video, I like that you offer something different to all the other guitar videos on my feed and your enthusiasm really comes through. I was unaware who Mick Green was by name as it’s not on my usual playlists, but I like his playing and I’ll check it out more
  • @merlin I would loved to see them 
  • @Roland your right there 
  • @musteatbrain hes one of them guys you’ve heard without knowing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First saw the Pirates at Reading in 78, from memory I think they followed Sham 69 (who were shite), the Pirates on the other hand were brilliant and Mick Green was phenomenal, he's sadly missed
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    We supported the Pirates at the Saxon Tavern in Bromley in early 1977. Great band, Mick was jaw droppingly good and they were really nice guys too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well he got the call for this band..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdzVFrvKa6M&t=1865s
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    Great video James. Mick has always been one of my favourite guitarists too. The characteristic rhythm style that you do very well and I also liked the way Mick would throw in some of those James Burton string bends too. Great player. My copies of Scull Wars and Out Of Their Sculls have been played to death :D 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    For whatever reason I've not heard very much Mick Green/Pirates so this thread has prompted me to check him out. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I just love the welsh accent :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    oldfoxy said:
    First saw the Pirates at Reading in 78, from memory I think they followed Sham 69 (who were shite), the Pirates on the other hand were brilliant and Mick Green was phenomenal, he's sadly missed
    My first Reading fest. The Pirates were, indeed, fantastic!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    oldfoxy said:
    First saw the Pirates at Reading in 78, from memory I think they followed Sham 69 (who were shite), the Pirates on the other hand were brilliant and Mick Green was phenomenal, he's sadly missed
    My first Reading fest. The Pirates were, indeed, fantastic!
    My second and just checked the line-up, was the Friday not the Sunday, but was right about following Sham 69. I remember Johnny Spence, the bass player saying something like "you think you've seen some aggro tonight, you should go down the Old Kent Road on a Saturday night" before launching into the set.....