Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best Christian metal/rock album of the decade?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
https://wytchhazel.bandcamp.com/album/iii-pentecost?fbclid=IwAR1tFKlcGkfu3qow1-7hTcG-3dSfJePYMtUwO3YLlZ3t9ZvVpCRcrE8eW_E

For fans of Lizzy/Wishbone Ash/Ashbury/Winterhawk/Angel Witch and heavy rock/NWOBHM in general. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Is this an example of damning with faint praise?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This got a really strong review on Angry Metal Guy.

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/wytch-hazel-wytch-hazel-iii-pentecost-review/

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    They look more hey nonny nonny that heavy metal though

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    I thought this was going to be about Stryper!
    Well, I went and found it on Youtube and gave it a bit of a spin. Not fair to judge on one listen but it didn't really do anything for me. Back in the day I really liked Stryper's To hell with the devil album, but other than that I've not really found albums/bands of interest producing 'Christian' music. When I'm in Christian mode I tend to go for live worship music like Hillsongs etc. Has to be live, it has an energy that they can't seem to recreate in the studio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I listened to a couple of tracks from this a week or two ago and wasn't blown away, but I should give the whole album a fair listen.  It definitely has that late-70s/NWOBHM kind of sound, but I'm not sure if I like that or not when it's a new band.

Never particularly been into Christian metal as such, unless you count King's X (and I wouldn't).  I know Bruce Franklin from Trouble is a Christian but again, the band's not Christian metal.  I've got a Stryper album somewhere, and one or two by Whitecross - Rex Carroll is a bit of a guitar hero.

• It that not an oxymormon?
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    A "Christian metal" album is about as pointless as a gangsta-rap album from an Eton crew!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Cheesus more like.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited November 2020
    S56035 said:
    A "Christian metal" album is about as pointless as a gangsta-rap album from an Eton crew!
    Not really. Given how much influence church iconography, music, and doctrine (even if many bands oppose the doctrine) is in heavy metal then it's one of the most obvious genres to include it.

You only have to listen to gothic, black, or symphonic metal to hear the massive impact Christianity has in terms of themes and music itself. And yes for bands like Cradle of Filth what you're hearing is the opposition to Christianity - but they are still using the trappings - musical styles, iconography etc. 

And while I'm not particularly into specifically Christian music myself, there's no reason why the poetry and mythology of any faith doesn't make a good basis for music. It's everywhere in music. Heck most of western musical history over the last 2000 years is related to the Christian faith. And metal draws on these classical themes more than pop or many other genres. 

You don't have to go far into the lyrics of bands such as Dream Theatre or even Megadeth to find Christian-positive themes.

It's ironic that those of faith are called closed minded when one reads people instantly dismissing some music just because of the personal faith of those that created it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    axisus said:
    I've often wondered where exactly people go to buy clothes like that? Do those sorts of bands all have their own seamstresses? Or is there a special shop for silly clothes for old rockers?
    Philly_Q said:

It definitely has that late-70s/NWOBHM kind of sound, but I'm not sure if I like that or not when it's a new band.

Seemed like a later sound that that to me. More like that spandex and big hair rock of .... was it the 90s or before, I forget now??
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Different style (prog - think Dream Theater type stuff) but I'd have to go with Neal Morse's Similitude of a Dream as the best Christian Rock  album of the decade.

There isn't a good quality version of the whole studio album on Youtube at the moment that I can find.  MIght be there as playlist of individual songs.  It is best listened to as a whole album though.  It's an hour and three quarter double concept album based on Juhn Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.

The musicians are superb.  It has Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater on drums, and the rest of them are excellent as well.

There is a live version on Youtube where they play the whole album through:

@crunchman I gave up on Neal Morse after his first 3 solo albums. For me he just has way too many words and not enough instrumental music.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    yorkio said:
    axisus said:
    I've often wondered where exactly people go to buy clothes like that? Do those sorts of bands all have their own seamstresses? Or is there a special shop for silly clothes for old rockers?
    They are The Knights Who Say "Ni". 
    axisus said:
    @crunchman I gave up on Neal Morse after his first 3 solo albums. For me he just has way too many words and not enough instrumental music.

I think SImilitude is the best one he has done.  The stuff he has done recently as the Neal Morse band has more going on musically.  It's not just Mike Portnoy.  Eric Gillette adds something on guitar.
  • I’m not a metal guy or a Christian but the link the OP is a decent song - serious Lizzy/Maiden vibes and plenty of hooks.

I don’t want to listen to a whole album of it but I’m not gonna knock it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_Q said:

I've got a Stryper album somewhere, and one or two by Whitecross - Rex Carroll is a bit of a guitar hero.

That dude could play a bit.

I've got a few Christian rock and metal cassettes somewhere from my misspent youth, but a lot of it isn't worth dragging back out. Sturgeon's Law applies of course, as it does to everything.

I do still have a soft spot for a Christian alternative/grunge band from the 90s called The Prayer Chain though. They were actually pretty good, and quite original sounding, which wasn't something you could say for an awful lot of Christian artists.

Anyone who likes tasty guitar could do worse than to check out Phil Keaggy- he's like the Jimi Hendrix of Jesus music.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited November 2020
    Phil Keaggy is superb.  Has covered all kinds of styles over the years as well.  I'm not massively into the instrumental acoustic stuff though.  I prefer the more blues/rock stuff like Crimson and Blue, and All At Once.